Excursion recommendations

sherri1862

We did the same itinerary on Symphony Of The Seas early July. We are a family with two boys (10 & 14 years old) and obviously our excursion preferences had to take into account their age and ability.

In Roatan we booked a third-party excursion with Viator. The name of the excursion was Roatan VIP Free-Style Private Tour, with Roatan Henry Tour. We spent about 5 hours looking for some nice views of the island, know more about the culture and traditions on the island. We were all four in an air-conditioned van accompanied by a guide. The guide was giving us options (meeting with monkeys, parrots and sloths, restaurants to eat iguana and other local food, etc.) But my children are allergic to some animals and we didn't want to eat anything outside the ship to avoid stomach problems.

Our guide recommended a boat ride through the mangroves and it was fantastic to discover the wild nature of Roatan. Then we were on a couple of beaches and in the last of them in West Bay we swam and sunbathed while we drank something before going back to the port. We enjoyed the beautiful views of the island and we choose this kind of excursion because no one in the RC excursions list checked with our preferences.

There is an important thing that you have to take into account: the local time in Roatan doesn't match with the Ship's time. It's important when you booked an activity out of the RC list. You could lost the ship.

In Costa Maya, we did Dolphin Encounter excursion and after that we went by our own to a small town 5 minutes away from the port called Mahahual where we stayed on the beach swimming, snorkeling and relaxing.

In Cozumel, we did the Starfish Sanctuary and Palancar Reef Snorkeling excursion. Beautiful and very well organized, enjoying the reefs, the starfishes... Very nice.

In Cococay we booked the full day Thrill Waterpark pass to be with our boys and relaxing after that in a lot of places to do it in the island.

It is difficult to choose the right excursion but I think we were lucky with the ones we chose because they were perfect.

Have a nice cruise

It would help to know a bit about you.  What do you like and if you have any kids?  

We are doing that exact itinerary in March.  I have 4 kids ages, 19, 16, 12 and 8 now.  We've been to Roatan before and loved the snorkeling there.  It was probably the best we've seen. We'll do it again with a 3rd party.  Coco Cay can be a beach/pool day for free or you can pay for the Waterpark.  We've done and enjoyed both but because Cozumel will be a beach day for us, we'll probably do the waterpark again.   In Cozumel, we'll get a taxi and either go to Mr. Sanchos or Paradise Beach.  We haven't been to Costa Maya and not sure what we'll do there.  

6 hours ago, sherri1862 said:

This will be a 30th wedding anniversary trip for my husband and I. He’s a bit more adventurous than I am so nothing too wild. We definitely want a beach day. I’ve bern on 2 Disney cruises- did a dolphin encounter in Cozumel and  a beach encounter in Grand Cayman. 

For something adventurous and fun at Cozumel, try the Amazing Secret River in Playa del Carmen.  You will need to take the ferry to the mainland, then a bus ride to the underground caverns.  You will swim, walk and once or twice crawl through openings in the cavern.  You will get wet, but it's fun.  It isn't good if you have a bad back or difficulty walking.  You are up close and personal with stalactites and stalagmites.  There are showers, changing rooms, and lockers at the base camp. Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!  (We will actually be on your itinerary in Sept.)

We used Viator in Australia, so I like the suggestion by @MDIAZ72 .

Check out https://www.boddentours.com/ for stuff to do in Roatan. We will be using them on our upcoming LOS cruise. We have a private tour with a trip to an animal park where we can hug a sloth, then horseback riding, and then beach trip all for $95pp for the whole day.  They have whole customizable itineraries that you can do, so you can decide how much or little you want to do. There is no need to pay up front. THey prefer US dollars in cash upon arrival. Reviews for them are all positive. Its easy to reserve what you want. Its all done through email, and they answer very promptly. Their communication has been great.