Adventure Ocean - English a must?

niksal

Hi! Happy to have found this forum - lots of great advice!

We’re taking our first cruise on the Allure of the Seas in December. We have two sons, 6 and 4 years old. They do not speak English, although we try to teach them some basic expressions.

Will they be able to enjoy Adventure Ocean? Are all the activities organized, or is there also a ”playroom” where they can play freely?

I’ve also understood they would be separated into different groups based on their age. Is this mandatory? I’m sure they would prefer to stay together.

All replies and pieces of advice are welcome - thank you in advance!

What language do they speak? Like many other crew members Adventure Ocean staff come from all different countries and often speak more than one language. Even if nobody speaks your children's language, the staff will do their very best to make sure they are included. Kids are great at non-language communication anyway, much more so than adults.

It's been a long time since my kids were young enough to go to Adventure Ocean so I can't remember the exact age groups but unless there are only a few kids on board, they do usually stick to the stipulated age groups. I have heard of an older child being allowed to move down an age group but not the other way round. This is something that you would need to discuss with the AO staff on the day. Be sure to go along with your children to the open session on the very first day. You'll find details of when it is in the cruise compass.

The kids speak Finnish (not expecting anyone to speak that) and Swedish (understand fully, shy to speak). 

I’m not really expecting staff to speak these languages, but was more looking for experiences from others who may have been in the same situation. 

9 hours ago, niksal said:

I’m not really expecting staff to speak these languages, but was more looking for experiences from others who may have been in the same situation. 

Yes, you're probably right. Your children will likely be fine, though. My 4-year-old great-niece, who speaks only Portuguese, thoroughly enjoyed herself even with no Portuguese-speakers among the staff. 

Kids that age don't worry about not being able to understand each other. They just get on with it. My great-niece made a friend on board who spoke some other language and apparently the two of them just chattered away to each other in their own languages while playing.