Coming Onboard restrictions for type 1 diabetic?

Eric

My 11 year old son is type 1 diabetic and as a result we need to have juice boxes, fruit snacks or regular snacks with us at all times as well as his insulin.

I know RCCL had tight restrictions on what can be brought on board...does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

I plan on calling RCCL but wanted to ask here too.

Also I think our room had a refrigerator so is it ok to have the room stewart empty it so we can have his juice, water and insulin cold.

Lastly we will need these supplies when we leave the ship when we are in port...will it be an issue getting back on the ship?

We will me on Freedom in April 2016.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

You (or your travel agent) should contact RCCL.  While I can't speak tot his situation, I've had several cruise lines make reasonable accommodations without much work at all.  RCCL Access Department contact information is below.  Be sure to mention anything and everything that might make your vacation safer or just more enjoyable (sharps container, special dietary requests, etc).

For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do#iDcYfmw1UhwBPspT.99 

We went on oasis in December with my dad who is on a liquid diet due to a mouth cancer. On the day of embarkation, we kept a bag untagged and carried it on. It had several cases of ensure, replete, and a case of water along with many many bottles of medication. No issue what's so ever. There are fridges in the room that you can empty into a nearby cabinet (although I'm sure your stateroom attendant wouldn't mind as well). They brought in an additional fridge for us since his medication needed to be refrigerated. This worked out well because the mini fridge built in to the room didn't have a freezer section, but the one they brought in did and I had frozen breast milk for my daughter.

Also, if you choose to bring him to adventure ocean, you can bring those items as well. They're really good with accommodating guests.

Despite the rules to the contrary, RC tends to look the other way when it comes to bringing non-alcoholic beverages onboard.

I think Billy is right that you should contact RC about the special need but in my experience, juices, sodas and waters that are brought onboard (especially in carry on luggage) makes it on without a problem.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic also and I always ask for a Sharps box on ships for my cabin

to put in my used supplies - yes you will have a refrigerator in your room and

no you should not have any issues with getting off the ship and back on

I wear an insulin pump and have no issues just show it to them

At airports I also have never had any issues and carry juice and meds with

me on the planes and just tell TSA that I am a diabetic

NOW that I have TSA Pre (BEST THING I ever did) - I don't even have

to show them my pump and walk right through

PM me if you have more questions but you should be great!

On Disney- I had to move cabins and left my insulin in the one cabin and the

room stewards moved it over for me without me knowing !  loved that service

Michelle

Definitely get in touch with the Royal and make sure that you or your TA contacts the Special Needs Department.  I also wouldn't rely on the in-cabin cooler unit, as it only keeps things cool and not really refrigerated.  I would expect Royal to bring in a real fridge for you.