CrusingWithMatt

LIVE - Brilliance of the Seas TA May 4-19, 2019

@CrusingWithMatt, very happy to see you up and about again! And taking it to 11 with that hike, no less! Looks gorgeous, glad you were able to take part and enjoy it.

Can't believe the CF the shore excursions team put you and your wife through! Glad to know that they got it figured out before it was way too late, and that you were able to get on the right bus; and that the bus driver explained to everyone that it wasn't your fault but the ship staff's!

Hope the rest of your cruise is less... error-prone and just enjoyable.

Days 10-11 (sea days) Skipped, dm for cruise compass

Day 12 Dunmore East/Waterford, Ireland:

Today went much smoother than the Azores. We decided a while back not to book any excursions for this port and to self-guide for the day. We tendered to Dunmore East and we were able to take a bus from round trip to Waterford and back for 15 Euro each. In Waterford we spent most of our time in the “Viking Triangle”. We saw the Viking sword (a huge wooden sword about the length of 5 cars that was carved out of an entire tree and a Viking boat. We took the medieval tour/museum and the bishops palace tour. Both tours were good but if I were to choose just one to do again it would be the medieval the museum had many cool artifacts. We ate lunch in the Bishops Palace café (a little café in the corner of the palace). We were happily surprised at how delicious the food was. My wife had a 100% Irish beef burger and I had a fried chicken sandwich on a fresh ciabatta roll and fresh Irish cheese. Mmmmm. The only weird thing was I swore the water tasted like moss. My wife noticed it too and she didn’t mind it, but it was a no-go for me. After the tours we spent time looking in the souvenir shops and then took the bus back early to spend some time in Dunmore East. We walked the cliffs where the views were spectacular, this was my favorite part of this port. We finished off our day in the local pub for a pint and some crisps and tendered back for a good night’s rest.

Day 13 Cobh/Cork, Ireland:

We booked the Exclusive Kinsale, Cork City and Blarney excursion through shore excursions group for this port. We arrived in Cobh and boarded a bus right near the port. Our bus tour was good, and we stopped at a small castle in Kinsale, toured around Cork City with a lunch break there, and finished at the Blarney castle for exploring and shopping. The poison garden full of labeled poisonous plants was cool but we only had two hours (which was not enough) for the Blarney castle area and shopping. It was a long but fun day.