Quantum Class Cruises

So I was searching around here looking for information on the Quantum ships and didn't see what I was looking for.  I was pricing cruises on the 3 available Quantum ships last night, then noticed there is Spectrum coming soon.  I was wondering why 2 of the 3 are sailing in Asia only?  Also, will they be moved around when the next ship is available?  And, lastly does the fleet rotate where they sail from yearly or how does that work?  I really hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, just hoping to learn a bit more.  Thanks!

Just now, DublinFC said:

I was wondering why 2 of the 3 are sailing in Asia only?

RC has found the Quantum Class to be a good fit for Asian market. I think it also helped these ships debuted right around the same time China became red hot for cruises.

1 minute ago, DublinFC said:

Also, will they be moved around when the next ship is available?

Nothing announced to that effect.  Odyssey of the Seas, the second Quantum Ultra Class after Spectrum, will come to USA.

1 minute ago, DublinFC said:

does the fleet rotate where they sail from yearly or how does that work? 

Some yes, some no. It's a bit of a complex game of demand, port availability, pricing and ship constraints

Ovation moves around a bit more than her sisters.  She has traditionally split time between Singapore and Australia.  This year she comes to the Alaska.    

Anthem has been fixed in the US Northeast for several years now serving the NYC general market.  She is going back to Europe soon for a summer and dry dock before coming back to the US.

Quantum was more heavily modified to serve the Asia region so it has tended to stay in that region.

Spectrum was built for China and sails directly there after completion.  It's unlikely at the moment you'll see her leaving that region unless something else changes.

This class is generally built to suit colder climates.  That has historically played a factor in deployment plans. 

Moving ships between regions or around the globe is not an insignificant undertaking and it costs money.  When Ovation first comes to the US this spring she has to undergo a 3 day mandatory inspection by the US government.  Taking a ship out of production for 3 days making zero revenue is a huge financial burden.  All cruise ships only make money when sailing full of guests.  

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

RC has found the Quantum Class to be a good fit for Asian market. I think it also helped these ships debuted right around the same time China became red hot for cruises.

Ok that make sense I guess.  I was checking them out their Solarium's look amazing, plus the other great features.  So only having the 1 option here currently was a head scratcher.  Thanks for the info.

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation moves around a bit more than her sisters.  She has traditionally split time between Singapore and Australia.  This year she comes to the Alaska.    

Anthem has been fixed in the US Northeast for several years now serving the NYC general market.  She is going back to Europe soon for a summer and dry dock before coming back to the US.

Quantum was more heavily modified to serve the Asia region so it has tended to stay in that region.

Spectrum was built for China and sails directly there after completion.  It's unlikely at the moment you'll see her leaving that region unless something else changes.

This class is generally built to suit colder climates.  That has historically played a factor in deployment plans. 

Moving ships between regions is not an insignificant undertaking and it costs money.  When Ovation first comes to the US this spring she has to undergo a 3 day mandatory inspection by the US government.  Taking a ship out of production for 3 days making zero revenue is a huge financial burden.  All cruise ships only make money when sailing full of guests.  

thanks for the details.  I know sitting idle means no money coming in.  I saw a map of ships moving around and wasn't sure if that was common or a every now and then situation.  Knowing the Ovation is coming to Alaska just means a trip there will be sooner than later I guess.  Win-Win!

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

So I was searching around here looking for information on the Quantum ships and didn't see what I was looking for.  I was pricing cruises on the 3 available Quantum ships last night, then noticed there is Spectrum coming soon.  I was wondering why 2 of the 3 are sailing in Asia only?  Also, will they be moved around when the next ship is available?  And, lastly does the fleet rotate where they sail from yearly or how does that work?  I really hope this doesn't sound too ignorant, just hoping to learn a bit more.  Thanks!

Odyssey is a Quantum class ship coming out Late 2020. It was announced it is coming to the USA. Im sure that boat will be amazing so if I were you I would look to sail on that as soon as they open sailings for booking which should be sometime soon. 

Odyssey is still far enough out I'm not counting on anything until I see her available for booking.  UK media quotes executives saying she is going to Europe, US media claims US.  Maybe it's a combination of the two, maybe in the interim if something else happens it will go somewhere else.  

Until I see her bookable I'm not counting on her being anywhere.  

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Odyssey is still far enough out I'm not counting on anything until I see her available for booking.  UK media quotes executives saying she is going to Europe, US media claims US.  Maybe it's a combination of the two, maybe in the interim if something else happens it will go somewhere else.  

I agree I think its going to be a combo of both. I think from about Nov-April it will be in the Caribbean and then I think May-Oct its going to be in Europe.. I remember when it was either Quantum or Anthem was announced it was going to do that I just have a feeling that's what its going to do. I have no factual basis for this lol its just a feeling. 

57 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Odyssey is a Quantum class ship coming out Late 2020. It was announced it is coming to the USA. Im sure that boat will be amazing so if I were you I would look to sail on that as soon as they open sailings for booking which should be sometime soon. 

I am going to keep an eye out for her.  Costs I',sure are going to be high since she will be brand new.  I would be interested to see what they have on board compared to the other Quantum ships.

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

Maybe its a mystery cruise??  Hopefully its clarified soon so we know where she is headed.  I would like to sail Europe, the British Isles cruise specifically, so maybe Odyssey will be available for one of the European cruises that look intriguing.