Poolside relaxing on longer cruises

Vanessa77

Hi all! 

I am going in my first cruise this December on what will be on the newly refurbished Voyager of the seas. The cruise is out of Sydney Australia for 9 nights. We have 2 sea days, followed by 4 port days (South Pacific), and another 2 sea days. 

With so many sea days, we’ll have plenty of time to take advantage of the ship activities as well as lounge by the pool, but my question is in which order should we try to do them? 

Has anyone noticed whether the pool is busier on sea days earlier in the cruise or later? Are people getting burnt out with activities and ports and spending more time on the pool deck at the end, or getting their cruise started in a relaxing way and spending the first sea days there? 

Thanks in advance. 

First cruise, how exciting!

Sea days tend to be busy by the pool regardless of the day of the itinerary simply because lounging by a pool is so relaxing and many people are there just to do that - relax.   However, every cruise is slightly different. 

For the week of your sailing in December are local schools on break?  This tends to see more families with children on board.  More families often means more pool time.  That week may trend to a more senior or retired crowd.  Sometimes there are just not as many sun worshipers one cruise to the next.  

Weather can also be a factor.  An overcast day on an early sea day may cause more people to seek the sun later in the cruise.

Typically there will be some place to lounge even if it isn't the front row by the pool so there is little reason to spend a lot of time thinking about it.  

@twangster  I am super excited! 

Yes it is school holidays during that time. The cruise is also over the Christmas period, so I don't know how that will affect the demographic either, but I'm pretty sure it will be a fairly full sailing. It's also Summer here in the southern hemisphere so even if it's cloudy, it will be quite warm. 

Thanks for your advice, guess we'll just play it by ear then!

I agree with twangster...I haven't noticed a difference in when in there cruise the pool lid more crowded.  Definitely port days are less crowded... Sometimes if you return a bit early you can score some uncrowded time.  Also I have found the more sea days, the slightly less crowded the deck is early in the day... Hard for people to get up early for tons of days to chair grab.  Jane

17 hours ago, Vanessa77 said:

Has anyone noticed whether the pool is busier on sea days earlier in the cruise or later? Are people getting burnt out with activities and ports and spending more time on the pool deck at the end, or getting their cruise started in a relaxing way and spending the first sea days there? 

I think weather plays the greatest factor in how busy the pool is on a sea day.