Bermuda excursion

Rexa12

Hi @Rexa12, welcome to the Royal Caribbean blog forums!

Is your sailing staying in Bermuda just one day, or are you on the sailing that stays overnight and doesn't leave until 5 PM the next day? If you have the latter, I strongly recommend that you forego any formal excursions and just spend $19 per person on a travel pass when you arrive in Bermuda and get off the ship. Once you have the travel pass, you can take one of the ferries to Hamilton or St. George's, explore those areas, and then get on the bus to go somewhere else (or take the ferry back to the dockyard). The ferries are much shorter trips than taking the bus or a van; about 20 minutes to reach Hamilton and 45 minutes to get to St. George's. (vs. bus times of 45-60 minutes for Hamilton, and nearly 90 minutes for St. George's)

This is what my wife and I did for our first visit to the island this past October (link to my blog in my signature), and it worked out really nicely. The only caveat is that you need to get off the ship and get that pass as soon as you've been cleared to leave the ship, as the first ferry to St. George's leaves at 9:30 sharp and the Hamilton ferry leaves at 9:45; if you miss it, you'll have a long wait for the next one.

The thing is, Bermuda is bigger than you think from looking at it on a map; while it may seem that you can visit all the major areas in a day, you really can't unless you're OK with a fairly short stop in each place. The other factor is that there is only one main road going through Bermuda, and that road is what carries all the students and commuters. Bermuda actually has a rush hour each morning and evening, and the traffic can get kind of bad (although they did design the bus stops very well; you'll never be held up from a bus pulling into a stop).

On 1/12/2019 at 3:57 PM, KathyC said:

With the ferries...the St George's run is only on weekdays.  So if you are in Bermuda on Saturday & Sunday like we will be in April...buses it is.  Multiple buses.  Or ferry to bus.  Sigh.

That's exactly what we did to get to St. George ..... We took the ferry to Hamilton, then walked to the main bus terminal and picked up a #1 to St. George.  There are 4 routes that run to St. George that all arrive 15 minutes apart from one another.  Then on the way back, we were able to stop at the Swizzle Inn, enjoy ourselves, then back to Hamilton & the ferry.  It's a short walk, about 2 blocks, with a slight incline.