Fort Lauderdale

mickjacket

I did that from Orlando and returned in Ft. Lauderdale.  Took the car rental shuttle to the ship after dropping off my wife and luggage.   So I didn't have to carry anything with me to the terminal.  It worked well but the car agency had changed locations and did not inform me.   That caused some delay and others had the same issue.  I had the rental set up a long time in advance.   

I did this and will advise you to do some more research, as there are only a few rental car companies that are near the cruise terminal.  I wish I could tell you who we used but it has been several years and I am currently suffering from  an episode of CRS.  I want to say we used Budget but like I said I honestly can not remember, it was pretty easy and went extremely well.  When we dropped the car off we were on a tight schedule because we were meeting another group of people.  We dropped the car off and took the shuttle to the terminal.  We used another company on the return trip that had an office outside of the terminal, and had an office in the airport.  

On 12/21/2018 at 5:45 PM, mickjacket said:

Thinking of renting a car at Fort Lauderdale airport, and return it to the location outside of the cruise port. Has anyone ever done this, if so how does it work?

There’s a Budget right on 17th street across from the cruise port (Same plaza as Rennasance Hotel). Your best bet is always Uber though if your staying local to Fort Lauderdale. 

On 12/22/2018 at 7:36 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

There’s a Budget right on 17th street across from the cruise port (Same plaza as Rennasance Hotel). Your best bet is always Uber though if your staying local to Fort Lauderdale. 

Should note that shuttles to the port are only offered from the 2520 Miami Road location (shared with Avis and Payless) - the  location on 17th Street is now a counter inside the Renaissance Hotel without any shuttle service.

Is the purpose to have a car for the day(s) prior to your departure?  The FLL consolidated car center is less that 2 miles to the port entrance.  I always drop the car at FLL and grab a taxi/Uber/Lyft to the ship.  Super easy and not particularly expensive.  Some rental companies also have a free shuttle to the port if you don't mind waiting. 

14 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Should note that shuttles to the port are only offered from the 2520 Miami Road location (shared with Avis and Payless) - the  location on 17th Street is now a counter inside the Renaissance Hotel without any shuttle service.

Not sure what your referencing but this is the budget located in the same plaza as Renaissance. Also important to note that every time I drive by there is a gang of cruisers with luggage hopping on a shuttle to the port. In any case, if for some reason this rental location has cancelled the shuttle you could take an Uber the 1/4 mile to the port. 

E7FB6243-915C-4AEC-A8F5-3597F82634AB.jpeg