Difference between Ultimate and 3 day Dining Package on a 3 day

Mike P

Looking at my Cruise Planner for Navigator in May there is the Ultimate Dining for $72 and the 3 day for $60.  This is a 3 day with 2 port so there wouldn't be a lunch on a sea day, so what would be the advantage of the Ultimate?  Also with either one would it be best/easiest to make reservations once boarded with the concierge in the Suite Lounge or stop at a restaurant?   

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 8.20.23 AM.png

On every ship I've sailed, using the Ultimate Dining Package, the package includes lunch on boarding day.  I know that there is some uncertainty out there about whether or not the package officially includes boarding day but so far, it has on all of the ones I've done.  I have NOT done a 3 day cruise so it might be different for a 3 day but I really doubt it.

So it sounds to me like you would be getting 1 lunch and 3 dinners, so 4 meals.  That works out to $18 per meal per person, which doesn't seem like a bad price.  If, for some reason, they did not allow lunch on embark day that would be the standard $24 per meal per person.

I had this same thing on the Mariner 3 day cruise.  Originally the UDP was cheaper than the 3-night, but the 3-night dropped in price, so I called to see what the difference was.  I was told that the UDP shouldn't be offered, and that it was a mistake.  It still is showing in the CP though, so who knows.