Beverage Questions

nala24

Hi,

We are leaving on our first RCL cruise this weekend on the Grandeur of the Seas. Our other cruises have been on NCL and Carnival. I have a few questions regarding beverages on-board.

Is Evian the only bottled water available for purchase? (I really don't like the taste of Evian.)

Can you get ice and filtered water from the soda machine if you don't purchase a beverage package?  How does it taste?

If we decide to bring wine with us, are we allowed to bring a corkscrew on-board? (We are driving, not flying to the port.)

I thought about bringing a 12-pk of my preferred bottled water and a 12-pk of diet coke in a carry-on but I was unsure if security in Baltimore usually looks the other way.

I would appreciate any advise and guidance you would be willing to offer.

Thanks. ?

1 hour ago, nala24 said:

Is Evian the only bottled water available for purchase? (I really don't like the taste of Evian.)

No. In fact, if you ask for a bottle of water at a bar or lounge, it's almost always some other brand of water.  The Evian is really only for the Evian water package or in some specialty restaurants (in my experience).

1 hour ago, nala24 said:

Can you get ice and filtered water from the soda machine if you don't purchase a beverage package?  How does it taste?

Not from the soda machine, but ice and filtered water is available elsewhere around the ship (Windjammer, as an example)

1 hour ago, nala24 said:

If we decide to bring wine with us, are we allowed to bring a corkscrew on-board? (We are driving, not flying to the port.)

You could, but your stateroom attendant can provide you with one for free.

1 hour ago, nala24 said:

I thought about bringing a 12-pk of my preferred bottled water and a 12-pk of diet coke in a carry-on but I was unsure if security in Baltimore usually looks the other way.

Yes, put it in your carry on luggage and don't ask about it or mention it.

I don't know about other soda machines, but the Coke Freestyle will give you water and ice even without a beverage package. No idea if that water is filtered.

If you drink your wine outside of your cabin, they are supposed to charge you a $15 corkage.  But both of my bottles were opened by a waiter in the main dining room,  and they didn't charge us either time.

I personally think the water on the ship tastes good and much better than the water from my kitchen sink. If I'm not on a drink package, I will just bring my water bottle and refill it from the water containers which are set up by the pool bars (using a clean cup).  

• 2 weeks later...

A corkage fee is applicable now, reintroduced around June 2017. I was told by my waiter on the Brilliance in April 2018 that it was 25 dollars, however,  I raised the issue forcefully with the head waiter and no charge was made. You can’t avoid the corkage fee by taking your own cork! If you drink your own wine outside your stateroom the corkage fee applies in principle. It’s a deterrent to taking your 2 bottle wine allowance out of your room. It’s got nothing to do with having a corking device, it’s just a term. To avoid the hassle you can take your wine into public areas, for your evening meal for example, by pouring it into a glass first and leaving the bottle in your room, a pain I know, but it’s a choice. To be honest, the altercation I had with the dining room staff and loyalty office on the Brilliance pissed me right off, I felt mad for days. So sad that Royal have to antagonise their loyal customers ( I am Diamond Plus ) for a few dollars more.

I've never understood the corkage fee but I've never been charged it either. 

Wine provided to me by the ship in my cabin recently (since I am a Diamond Plus) had this sticker on it:

image1.thumb.jpeg.be8e56a5a9533409bb5b26f410d0010a.jpeg

You can bring or ask your cabin attendant for one of these travel corkscrews:

IMG_1357.thumb.jpg.7b3cd1d75f27838d425e4a91045c7f93.jpg

I always drink the water on ships in the dining room or at the drink stations.  I've never had a problem with it over many cruises.

Not all ships have Freestyle drink dispensers but those that do can be used to obtain water and ice without using the coded drink package cup.  Any plain water glass can be used in a Freestyle machine but only for water and ice.