Royal Caribbean Blog

Birth certificate, Drivers License if they have one,  School I.D. and you will be fine.  Spend the saved passport money on specialty dinner and drinks.  At age 16 you get the 10 year passport.  If you were going to Europe then I would get a passport.  Caribbean travel  is a Birth Certificate.  Like they say in the Caribbean : Don`t WORRY   BE HAPPY and enjoy the cruise.  And last get lots of  family pictures taken. Those memories are precious.   

Yup, just double checked.  $195 for 5 yrs if I got him the expedited passport now and $135 for 10 yrs if we can avoid international travel until he turns 16 in March.  Seems like a no brainer to me

15 hours ago, Kim&N8 said:

yuo kids are not a renew they are a new passport 😞 stinks! Check the age to get an adult passport for your oldest! 

11 hours ago, melski94 said:

16-17 year olds can get a 10 year passport!   

6 hours ago, juliakays said:

That's the kind of thing that I worry about.  Thankfully he does have his school id and it looks enough like him now & has his graduation yr.  

There is no harm in having them, it's not like it's any extra effort to bring them.  Not sure why some people have such a hard time accepting that it's good to be over prepared.  LOL 

11 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Birth certificate, Drivers License if they have one,  School I.D. and you will be fine.  Spend the saved passport money on specialty dinner and drinks.  At age 16 you get the 10 year passport.  If you were going to Europe then I would get a passport.  Caribbean travel  is a Birth Certificate.  Like they say in the Caribbean : Don`t WORRY   BE HAPPY and enjoy the cruise.  And last get lots of  family pictures taken. Those memories are precious.   

Trying not to over think it!  Thankyou!

On 8/6/2018 at 3:27 PM, Matt said:

If you don't live in or near a major city with a US Passport office, there are LOTS of expedited passport renewal services.

Just do a Google search for "<city name> expedited passport renewal"

In Orlando, you can pay quite a bit but get passports renewed in 24 hours! (Our closest passport office is in Miami)

This has nothing to do with this topic, as it looks like it is adequately covered, but I am trying to figure out how to sort the posts  so the thread starts with the most recent comments. Without starting an entirely new thread for such a limited topic, can it be done?

4 minutes ago, packercruising said:

This has nothing to do with this topic, as it looks like it is adequately covered, but I am trying to figure out how to sort the posts  so the thread starts with the most recent comments. Without starting an entirely new thread for such a limited topic, can it be done?

If you look at each unread post in the boards, you'll see a blue circle next to the post title (star if it's a post you're following). If you click that instead of the post title, you will be taken straight to the first unread message in the thread.

952301143_Mostrecentpostbutton.png.5c68a04c47e305e74a4d17e16846267d.png

• 6 months later...

Just to clarify, this is my first cruise in a long time (this place has been great, thank you).

If my wife and I have a passport, do we need to also bring a birth certificate?  Or will the passport itself be sufficient?  This is a cruise leaving from and returning to Port Canaveral.

Our kids are 11 and 5.  They would just need a birth certificate?  (Likely going to go the passport route before the trip anyway).

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, STB7481 said:

Just to clarify, this is my first cruise in a long time (this place has been great, thank you).

If my wife and I have a passport, do we need to also bring a birth certificate?  Or will the passport itself be sufficient?  This is a cruise leaving from and returning to Port Canaveral.

Our kids are 11 and 5.  They would just need a birth certificate?  (Likely going to go the passport route before the trip anyway).

Thanks!

If you have valid passports no other ID is required.  Your kids would need original birth certificates.  

My kids always had passports but that's a personal decision.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

If you have valid passports no other ID is required.  Your kids would need original birth certificates.  

My kids always had passports but that's a personal decision.  

+1 for passports for the kids.  We never travel with their birth certificates.

• 7 months later...

I am not sure if it's worse board etiquette to comment on an old thread or start a new thread that's surely been hammered out over and over, sorry!

For a 'closed loop' cruise leaving and returning to the US (Florida) I understand a certified BC will work to travel (I also understand Passport is best) but in the event an adult can only travel with a BC and ID can they still get off in a Caribbean port? In this case Nassau. 

2 hours ago, PRebecca said:

OK so the ship will allow a guest off and on with BC, ID and cruise card; and also Nassau port people will allow that as well? Thanks for the info!

When returning to the ship the Nassau port security staff will ask to see Seapass card and Government ID to confirm the name on the SeaPass card matches the name on the Government ID.  A U.S. driver's license works fine.  

I've seen this advice over and over and I went ahead and got my passport book after seeing that said so many times. I agree and appreciate the advice! I'm traveling with someone who for whatever reason is hesitant to get one so I was hoping to avoid any hold-ups on their end. I really appreciate and listen to all the advice that you experts give here 😁🛳