Main dining room attire for teens

Paml514

We will be traveling with our 14 & 15 year old. I want to see if they will be able to wear (resort appropriate) shorts with nice shirts and shoes in the main dining room at dinner.  I believe the policy says shorts only at breakfast and lunch. They like to dress nice but pants on a caribbean vacation seems like a big ask.

Hot topic and there will be a million different opinions.  The bottom line is Royal does not enforce its policy so you need to decide what is right for your family.  They will not turn away your children and depending on the ship you will see others in nice shorts and a polo.  However, on formal nights (usually nights 2 and 5 on a 7 night cruise), they should wear long pants to the MDR. It will be nice for a good family picture!  My boys wear khaki pants and a button down shirt. 

Once they got into high school, my boys were not allowed (by me) to wear shorts to the main dining room.  They wear khakis or dockers, with a polo shirt or short sleeve button down shirt.  On tropical-themed nights they wear jeans if they want, but usually prefer khakis.   On formal nights, they wear a long-sleeve button down shirt and a tie.  Some nights they changed after dinner, others they stayed in their clothes.  Depended on if they were planning on wearing the pants a second time.  For me, it was a lesson in proper attire for dressy occasions, as well as getting them used to wearing nicer clothes in preparation for college.  Business majors are often required to wear ties to class, and often suits.  My rising college sophomore (who is not a business major) has a marketing class in the fall and has already told me he needs to buy a couple more ties over the summer for that class.  

Proud Mom moment: at 18 & 20, they plan and pack their own clothes.  All I do is give them a list of how many of each clothing item they need to pack, and the rest is up to them.  Starting them young makes a big difference.  The last cruise we all went on in May, was the first time I didn't feel the need to check what they packed.  I never looked in their suitcases once, and they were properly attired the entire week!