13-nt Grand Mountain Marvels Anchorage

I'm looking to find the timing on the Fairbanks to Seward land leg. In particular the timing after Talkeetna and how much time in Anchorage. It looks like there is more than a full day in Anchorage - rail pm - Talkeetna to Anchorage then next day coach transfer Anchorage to Seward. I'm looking for a bit more precision on the timing. I see a city tour and a museum tour. If I skip those, how much time in Anchorage to drive to Whittier, do 5 hr Prince William Sound tour then eat late supper at Seven glaciers b4 driving back to hotel in Anchorage. On our itinerary it looks like they have Anchorage Marriott prior to  pm rail - Talkeetna to Anchorage. This just looks backwards. Can anyone shed light on there own timing in the pre cuise part?

precruise.jpg

Our cruise tour was totally different (2014, started in Anchorage), but Seven Glaciers (Alyeska Resort) - awesome!  Make reservations.  Recommend Jen's Restaurant (dinner) and Snow City Cafe (breakfast) in Anchorage.  I was stationed at Fort Richardson (now JBER) and those were our favorite restaurants in Anchorage.

Looking over my sheet and comparing to the Alaska Railroad time table.

I'm going to say you'll get into Anchorage around 8pm on the 22nd.

Reading Royal's info: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/13NightGrandMountainMarvelsCruisetour7BPreTour-RD13B907?currencyCode=USD&sCruiseType=CT&sailDate=05%2F18%2F2019

DAY 5
Touring: Talkeetna, Alaska / Anchorage, Alaska  Alaska
Spend the day discovering Talkeetna’s spectacular setting. Take an optional flight sight seeing excursion to the mountain, or visit Talkeetna Lakes Park, home to sea otters and other animals. Then in the late afternoon, board the Wilderness Express for the trip to Alaska’s big city. From 8:00 p.m., experience Anchorage’s unique nightlife: restaurants, craft breweries and city trails are abuzz under the evening sunlight. Overnight at the Anchorage Marriott.

DAY 6
Touring: Anchorage, Alaska / Seward, Alaska Alaska
The day begins with a guided visit of the acclaimed Anchorage Museum and a brief city tour. Then enjoy free time downtown for lunch, shopping and exploring on your own, before the deluxe motorcoach takes you along the Chugach Mountains to the coast. From 4:00 p.m., the historic port town of Seward is yours to discover. Stroll the historic downtown, one of Alaska’s oldest communities, or hike a trail that is so close to a glacier, you can hear the ice crackling. Overnight at Seward Windsong Lodge.

Looks like from what folks are reporting on previous pre land tours, there just is time the first night in Anchorage to take in supper at Seven Glaciers but not enough time (2pm depart for Seward)  the next day for a glacier tour out of Whittier. Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point or Ketchikan might be the best choices if one cannot do Prince William Sound. I know our itinerary includes Hubbard Glacier while cruising. While that is part of the cruise, we want to get closer. Not enough time from any stops end of land tour. CGTLH, thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

6 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

Our cruise tour was totally different (2014, started in Anchorage), but Seven Glaciers (Alyeska Resort) - awesome!  Make reservations.  Recommend Jen's Restaurant (dinner) and Snow City Cafe (breakfast) in Anchorage.  I was stationed at Fort Richardson (now JBER) and those were our favorite restaurants in Anchorage.

I was at the Seven Glaciers during a 14 day backpacking tour in '95. Five of our team got reservations there. It was a bit strange to be eating there in mostly hiking boots and "dress" hiking attire. We sat next to a very large group that ordered their dinner in Japanese. Late August sunset over the mountains of Turnagain Arm was just unbelievable. Thanks for the tips on breakfast in Anchorage. I've heard others mention Snow City Cafe.

Agree.  The view was phenominal from 7 Glaciers.  About 8 people were base  jump parachuting from the top.  Take advantage of the back deck @ Telkeetna Lodge.  On a clear day you can see Denali from there.  The story is that view only happens 20% of the time. From the Iodge,  we walked to the Roadhouse Bakery and to the bank of the Susitna River (there is park).  @CGTLH nailed it on timing.  We started (only a 12 night) in Anchorage, Telkeetna,  Denali,  Girdwood, and had a morning at Seward (July 4th) before we boarded the Radiance.   BTW, the Mount Marathon Race is on the 4th, interesting to watch.