To pre-book or not...

hayley_bopp

On our upcoming IoS cruise, we'd like to try Izumi Hibachi and Giovanni's Table. 

We'd like to try Izumi Hibachi one evening for dinner. Should I pre-book on the cruise planner? We're not particularly bothered about date/time - more concerned with getting the best price! If we do pre-book, how does the pricing work with it being an al a carte menu - would we get a credit pp to spend?

I'm also thinking we could try Giovanni's Table for lunch on a sea-day - am I correct in thinking this is a cheaper way to do it? Again, should we pre-book or not?

TIA

19 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Should I pre-book on the cruise planner? We're not particularly bothered about date/time - more concerned with getting the best price! If we do pre-book, how does the pricing work with it being an al a carte menu - would we get a credit pp to spend?

Yes, primarily because hibachi tends to sell out quickly. I'd pre-book to assure yourself of a spot.

With pre-booking an a la carte, I think you pre-pay the basic price of the meal, and then can optionally spend more once at the restaurant and pay difference.

The Hibachi side isn't a la carte, or wasn't on my last trip on Allure.  It was fixed price.  The sushi side of Izumi was a la carte. 

I'm assuming IoS will be similar.  On Oasis class it's almost like the Hibachi side of Izumi is a separate restaurant and when making reservations on board you need to be clear which side you are looking for.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

The Hibachi side isn't a la carte, or wasn't on my last trip on Allure.  It was fixed price.  The sushi side of Izumi was a la carte. 

I'm assuming IoS will be similar.  On Oasis class it's almost like the Hibachi side of Izumi is a separate restaurant and when making reservations on board you need to be clear which side you are looking for.

Hmmm. That's strange. Was looking at it on the CP which listed it as Izumi Hibachi and gave a sample menu with a la carte pricing. 

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall seeing sushi on there which I thought was weird for a Hibachi but I've never actually been to one before... ?

18 minutes ago, hayley_bopp said:

Hmmm. That's strange. Was looking at it on the CP which listed it as Izumi Hibachi and gave a sample menu with a la carte pricing. 

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall seeing sushi on there which I thought was weird for a Hibachi but I've never actually been to one before... ?

The sample menu can be confusing.  The PDF sample menu is from a ship that features Izumi Hot Rocks as opposed to the Hibachi (Teppanyaki).  On OA class in the Hibachi side of Izumi things like sushi rolls are extra (a la carte) but the $45 cover charge includes the Teppan choices of your typical Japanese steak house:

teppan1.jpeg.ce018b85172e868a31ba15856cb134d1.jpeg

teppan2.jpeg.2f9183d6b77f1c2653e40d36384f159c.jpeg

The chef we had on Allure was very good and funny.  One of the most enjoyable Teppanyaki experiences I've had even over some popular land based Japanese steak houses.  I don't do sushi (other than a few California rolls) but I'll do the Hibachi side any chance I get.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:35 PM, hayley_bopp said:

On our upcoming IoS cruise, we'd like to try Izumi Hibachi and Giovanni's Table. 

We'd like to try Izumi Hibachi one evening for dinner. Should I pre-book on the cruise planner?

I would say that as soon as you see Izumi Hibachi in the CP, book it. I saw it in the CP about four months ago for a June sailing on Allure, and waited. The only remaining time was 9pm on embarkation day when I went to book it a month later. I will try to get it moved to a different time while on board, but I was surprised by that. You really have to be on your toes.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Correct. If you're on the hibachi side, you can still order sushi from the a la carte menu.