Cruising the Caribbean Summer 2018

32 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Check the LIVE from San Juan and Adventure of the Seas - 2/22 to 3/2 as there are some St Maarten pix 

That was me! 

I stayed for two days ahead of my cruise in Old San Juan, and visited St. Maarten for the day. If you're in the Old San Juan area, the damage will not be apparent. We had power and all businesses appeared open and ready for tourists! 

On St. Maarten, the damage is more apparent, but don't let that deter you from going. I can highly recommend Bernard's SXM Tour for an island tour. Be ready to see damage there, but also go and spend money there. The island relies heavily on tourism and people going there can only help their recovery efforts. 

Labadee is beautiful as always. :) 

As an additional note on St. Maarten, the French side of the island was hit harder than the Dutch side. You'll still see damage on the Dutch side, but it is much more prevalent on the French side due to how insurance works on that side of the island. It'll still be some time before they build back. We stopped by Orient Bay Beach, and besides a few wandering vendors and people who had rented beach chairs from one of those vendors, the beach is covered in rubble of old restaurants and bars.