Non-Excursion Activities

RSMGreg

Our southern Caribbean cruise starts on the Jewel of the Seas on February 7.  Yeah!

We signed up for two excursions and am wondering about the other days.  I have had more experienced cruise ship travelers say the better way to go onshore is to find a cabbie who will really show you the island, and at less cost.  Anyone else have feedback for this more adventuresome approach?

Greg

Cabs are always an option, but it really depends on the ports and what you want to do. If you provide your itinerary, you'll get more advice.

In St. Maarten, hiring a cab is quite easy and fairly affordable; however, it depends on what you want to do (e.g., beach, shop, etc.). On other islands, it can be extremely expensive to go this route. If I were to do St. Kitts over again, I would opt for a taxi tour, for instance.

I've always gone with the approach of walking on shore and finding a driver to do something.  Generally it works, but you have to be willing to deal with push drivers.  I just keep walking until I find someone that isn't just trying to make money and move onto the next guy.  Be sure to ask questions like "you will drive us?" and "And we will leave right now?".  Get a sense if the driver is really going to take you or stick you in a van until they can fill the van with others to maximize the fare.

I also suggest having an idea of what you want to do when you talk to the drivers.  If there's a specific beach or activity you're interested in, tell them and negotiate it all before you agree to go in the cab. 

I have excursions scheduled for St Thomas (snorkeling) and St Lucia (Segway).  Looking for things to do in St Croix, Antigua, and Grenada.

I am looking at ATV adventures.  The Royal Caribbean sponsored excursion on Antigua is unavailable to sign up for until I am shipboard.  I am looking online at one on St Croix.

Greg