Reserving specialty dining after reserving shows issue

I am sailing on the Symphony OTS in June and recently booked all our shows. We decided we wanted to book Chops Grille on Day 2, but when I went to book, I was only given the option to pick 5:00pm. All the other times had a red line and I couldn't book. I have Hairspray booked for 9:45pm that night. I understand having a buffer of a couple hours between dinner and a show, but 4 hours and 45 minutes seems a bit unreasonable. Is there any trick to getting a slightly later dining reservation that night? I don't really want to cancel the show and risk not getting the reservation back, just to get a 6pm reservation. Should I book the 5pm and see if I can change it to a later time when we get on the ship? 

Also, we would like to try the Solarium Bistro one evening, but I don't see where you can reserve that. Do you go when you first get on the ship like you do with the dining packages or do you have to reserve your time the day of? 

Thank you in advance. 

7 minutes ago, Scarlett625 said:

when I went to book, I was only given the option to pick 5:00pm. All the other times had a red line and I couldn't book. I have Hairspray booked for 9:45pm that night. I understand having a buffer of a couple hours between dinner and a show, but 4 hours and 45 minutes seems a bit unreasonable.

I believe there is yet another glitch with this. I've seen several others mention it. Specialty dining used to only block out 2 hours. It should not conflict with a show 4-5 hours later (like you said). Unfortunately I don't have a solution. I suppose you can try calling Royal.

Solarium Bistro is usually listed with the other specialty restaurants and you make reservations the same way (except that it's free). Not sure why it's not there for you.

33 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Solarium Bistro is usually listed with the other specialty restaurants and you make reservations the same way (except that it's free). Not sure why it's not there for you.

Thank you so much. When I clicked on the Solarium Bistro the "Reserve" option was grayed out. I guess I didn't wait long enough because it finally turned blue and I was able to reserve. Appreciate the help. I was able to book all the way up to 6pm on Day 2 for the Bistro, so maybe Chops is just booked that day and 5pm was the only time available more than two hours before the show. 

Just now, Scarlett625 said:

maybe Chops is just booked that day and 5pm was the only time available more than two hours before the show

If a time is unavailable, you won't see it at all. If the system considers it a conflict with another reservation, you see the red line at the bottom of the time.

• 2 weeks later...