Galveston Hotel to Port Transportation on Embarkation Day

SPS

What are everyone's recommended options for getting to the port in Galveston from our Galveston hotel on Seawall Blvd? (January 28th! 12 days!)

Thinking we'll just call for a Taxi (or maybe Uber). Or is there some other option I should consider?

12 hours ago, BopRN said:

We used Galveston Saltwater Moms and it was a great experience. She picked us up at our hotel near the Hobby Airport and dropped us off at the port. Easy peasy! You can only book them through Facebook Message. Facebook

When I tried to use them from my Galveston hotel on Seawall, they wouldn't do it.  Only wanted longer trips, which I totally understand.  By committing to my tiny little trip, they were potentially missing out on a much more lucrative fare.  I ended up using LyftXL, couldn't have been easier.  Lots of drivers were available when I left, but I still pre-booked just to be safe!

19 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

When I tried to use them from my Galveston hotel on Seawall, they wouldn't do it.  Only wanted longer trips, which I totally understand.  By committing to my tiny little trip, they were potentially missing out on a much more lucrative fare

That’s been my understanding about the GSWM FB page. They’re pretty much just for airport/airport hotel transfers to/from port. It’s just not economically feasible for them to do local transportation.

• 4 weeks later...

For those wondering, UBER was the option we went with and it could not have gone better!

Because we didn't really know how heavy traffic could or would be, be arranged for an 11:15 pick up for our 12:00 arrival time.

Our driver, Gina, promptly picked us up at our Seawall Blvd hotel at 11:15 and we were on our way. I was surprised just how light traffic turned out to be and we arrived at the port at 11:28.

I expected to have to wait until noon after handing off our luggage to the porter, but were promptly waved into the terminal. Security check, carry on x-ray, a quick question from an agent about our health status, followed by a passport check and scan of our set sail passes had us on our way up the gangway.

We were done with our muster station check in and ordering our first drink at the Sand Bar before our scheduled arrival time!

The rideshare situation might be better now than what was happening in the past because Uber can now go into the port, whereas before, only Lyft had signed the contract to go all the way in to pick up or drop off guests. When we cruised from there last April, we took an Uber to the island the night before and stayed down the seawall a bit and then had a local taxi lined up for the next morning to get us from our Galveston Hotel to the port. 

6 hours ago, SPS said:

For those wondering, UBER was the option we went with and it could not have gone better!

Because we didn't really know how heavy traffic could or would be, be arranged for an 11:15 pick up for our 12:00 arrival time.

Our driver, Gina, promptly picked us up at our Seawall Blvd hotel at 11:15 and we were on our way. I was surprised just how light traffic turned out to be and we arrived at the port at 11:28.

I expected to have to wait until noon after handing off our luggage to the porter, but were promptly waved into the terminal. Security check, carry on x-ray, a quick question from an agent about our health status, followed by a passport check and scan of our set sail passes had us on our way up the gangway.

We were done with our muster station check in and ordering our first drink at the Sand Bar before our scheduled arrival time!

Thanks for the update! I'm glad it worked well for you.

We have very little experience with Uber/Lyft. How far ahead did you set up your 11:15 pick up? 

Thanks!

11 hours ago, JustUs275 said:

We have very little experience with Uber/Lyft. How far ahead did you set up your 11:15 pick up? 

My wife set up the pickup (her account) the evening before while we were at dinner. She entered the date, time, pickup location, and destination then chose a driver from an available list of drivers/prices.