License and Birth Certificate last name dont match

Ok I have a cruise coming up and do not have a passport. The last name on my birth certificate and license are different, I got married in 2003. I have my marriage certificate from NC but it doesnt have my son on it (it says son not required on it) OR I have an old ID from when I lived in FL that has my maiden name that matches my birth certificate on it. Will they accept the marriage certificate or is it better for me to try to change my last name on the cruise reservation if thats even possible?

1 hour ago, Mel78 said:

Ok I have a cruise coming up and do not have a passport. The last name on my birth certificate and license are different, I got married in 2003. I have my marriage certificate from NC but it doesnt have my son on it (it says son not required on it) OR I have an old ID from when I lived in FL that has my maiden name that matches my birth certificate on it. Will they accept the marriage certificate or is it better for me to try to change my last name on the cruise reservation if thats even possible?

Not sure what you mean by "my son" in this context.  I'm not aware that children or social security numbers (SSNs) are listed on marriage licenses (and that's the only 2 ways I can think of to interpret what you've said.)  Either way, the marriage license/certificate is an acceptable document to connect your different last names.  Your old ID from FL is not useful at all.  There's plenty of threads here from others who have used traveled after marriage.  Just use the search bar at the top if you want more details.

What they are looking for is an official chain of legal documents showing name changes.  You need a bridging document showing that a legal name change occurred between the name shown on your birth certificate and the name on your driver's license.  Commonly, this is a marriage certificate, but can also be a court order (in case of no marriage, but still a name change, or perhaps a divorce decree).  You want to use the name on your most current form of ID for your reservations, probably your driver's license.  As for your son, you would need similar bridging documents if your name listed on his certificate is different from what is on your ID.  This is actually a common question and situation, so I would not hesitate to call Royal and ask them directly as they will tell you exactly what you need to bring.  We just got back from a cruise with my Daughter's family, and she was able to use her marriage certificate as bridging documentation between her birth certificate and driver's license with no issue.  The marriage license also served as the bridge for her daughter's birth certificate where the recorded the mother's maiden name.