Labadee Dragon's Fire question

jbrinkm

I signed my family up for the Dragon's Fire zipline on our March cruise. I'm excited for such a unique experience and will enjoy it once I get going, however... I'm scared of the moment right before you leave, when you are all geared up but haven't started yet, and you are ALL the way up there. I read a review that it might be even worse with Dragon's Fire because you have to lean out over the platform to get the 3rd slip secured. I don't want to cancel, but can I close my eyes? When I am leaning forward, waiting to go, is there anything I NEED to be looking at? Or can I just wait and open them right as I start going? I do the same thing on roller coasters - I just close my eyes during the whole click-click-click incline and then open them once I feel us starting to move, and then I love it. 

Hey @jbrinkm  Of course you can close your eyes.  My first time on DF, I went last in our group and as they load you there is that moment where they ask you to lean forward.  First up were my son and his GF and the attendant told them to lean forward.  My son leaned forward but his GF did not.  I said "Maddie, you need to lean forward" to which she replied "I am leaning forward" yet she clearly was not, then the attendant just scooped her legs and leaned her forward and strapped her in and off they went.

When it was my turn, getting loaded up, and it's time and he says to me "lean forward", so I leaned forward and he said to me "you need to lean forward"  I started to say "I am lean..." and he scooped my legs and strapped me in.  I swear to everything holy that I was leaning forward but just like Maddie, I must not have been as if my brain would allow me to think I was leaning, but not actually lean in that situation.  It was very strange.

In spite of all that, I have never once felt actively afraid or in danger when I was up there.  You'll do fine.  I don't think you should cancel  It's really fun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 6:06 PM, jbrinkm said:

I signed my family up for the Dragon's Fire zipline on our March cruise. I'm excited for such a unique experience and will enjoy it once I get going, however... I'm scared of the moment right before you leave, when you are all geared up but haven't started yet, and you are ALL the way up there. I read a review that it might be even worse with Dragon's Fire because you have to lean out over the platform to get the 3rd slip secured. I don't want to cancel, but can I close my eyes? When I am leaning forward, waiting to go, is there anything I NEED to be looking at? Or can I just wait and open them right as I start going? I do the same thing on roller coasters - I just close my eyes during the whole click-click-click incline and then open them once I feel us starting to move, and then I love it. 

I did it last January and I am going back on it again next month. 

First...you do a practice run from a not so high, and a not very long, course that gives you a feel for the higher/longer run. If you don't feel you can manage more than that then you can opt out then. 

That said...it is fairly high up on a hill but you are secured at all times. When they attach the 'lean forward' I don't recall being out over the edge but as I said, I was already secured. The steel cable hums at a high pitch as others are traveling along it...kind of spooky but also kind of cool. The ride down, if I recall correctly, can reach speeds around 40mph and it's about 1/2 mile long. As to closing your eyes...I don't see why you can't.

FWIW...my first time was after I celebrated my 70th.

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I did...more even...and please come back with an update in March.