Protests in Panama

ChrisC

Hello, right now there are some anti-government protests in Panama and access to Colon is sometimes restricted. Protest began 3 weeks ago and my cruise leaves in 2 weeks. Could Royal Caribbean cancel that itinerary?

Btw, If you are arriving to Panama, the best way out of the airport right now is using the subway. It only cost $0.80 and there is a terminal right at the airport. Roads to the airport might also be closed.

I am on this same cruise leaving from Colon in a week and I am very disturbed that RC has not made any kind of announcement.  The violence could very much escalate after the 23rd or even while we are at sea with no way back to the port.  From what I can tell I'm not even sure we can make it from Panama City to Colon to get on the ship with the road blockades and protests.  Why is RC remaining silent.  I do not feel safe to even fly to PC right now.

1 hour ago, LuS said:

I am on this same cruise leaving from Colon in a week and I am very disturbed that RC has not made any kind of announcement.  The violence could very much escalate after the 23rd or even while we are at sea with no way back to the port.  From what I can tell I'm not even sure we can make it from Panama City to Colon to get on the ship with the road blockades and protests.  Why is RC remaining silent.  I do not feel safe to even fly to PC right now.

All I can say is that this is why we have travel insurance and/or refundable fare options.  The US State Department just has an elevated caution level for the area (level 2), so I doubt they will make any changes to their departures and arrivals unless something drastic happens to increase the caution level.  Level 2 is better than Cancun, Mexico as a reference point.  Just avoid the crowds and protesters as much as possible.  They are upset with mining companies, not tourists.  These protests and roadblocks have been going on for years (decades) there, so it should not be a surprise.  If you are concerned, call Royal and ask them to address your concerns.  If you still feel unsafe about the trip, you can always cancel, but understand that is a personal decision and it may not qualify as a valid reason to ask for refunds or compensation if you don't have a refundable fare.  I wish you the best and hope you have a terrific cruise.

They have been closing the highway to Colon from 3am to 6pm this week. The Supreme Court should make an announcement soon, so things could get better. If the situation stays the same I will travel the night before. There is a Radisson hotel next to the cruise port.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Panama and lets have a great cruise.

I am scheduled for 9 Dec sailing but am unsure what to do. Wife is from Panama and still have relatives living there. Some live between Panama City and Colon and they are highly recommending we not go to Colon because of roadblocks and criminal groups. If you look on US Embassy website they are not allowing their personnel to travel to Colon. There are reports of robberies, and assaults especially those with suitcases.

There were no roadblocks on the highway to Colon today or during the weekend. The company responsible for managing the highway regularly posts updates on their Twitter account (https://twitter.com/ConcesionariaMC). I visited Colon last Thursday, and the road was temporarily closed by the police until 6 pm, likely to prevent cars from getting stuck on the highway and to reduce the risk of robberies. Once the road reopened, the traffic flow was smooth, and I encountered no issues in the city.

My current plan is to travel Saturday morning to the port. If everything is ok, it should be around one hour drive from Panama City.