Large Group of 18 dining questions

cortegro

Hello, 

We are a multi generational group of 18, 14 adults and 4 grandkids 8,3,2,1).

The sailing is on Oasis over Christmas this year. We are staying in an Owner's Suite on 14 and the other 7 staterooms are Balcony rooms on 8.

Our travel agent has set us all with 5:30pm MDR times. She told me she has requested table(s) together, but couldn't really elaborate on whether we might have 1,2,3 or more tables.

Does anyone have experience trying to plan just dinners together like this? Any chance at all for 1 huge table (even off to the side somewhere?)

I made some specialty dining for two nights, but only get the option for 8 at a time with 6 linked ressies. (that is the limit on linked bookings online)

I tried to get the specialty dining at the same or similar times, but the closest was 1 hr diff on 1 place and 3hr difference at the other.

Any help or direction will be great! I'm sure somebody has had the anxiety  that I have!

I am hoping the concierge team might help, but I'm mostly just nervous having to wait to board to explain to everyone our dinner plans. I written an email to them already.

Another bonus question if you are still standing....

I have a crazy pipe dream to have everyone come to our stateroom for Christmas morning. Mimi and Pop-Pop want to see the grandkids open a few small gifts from Santa.

What is the chance I could pay for a breakfast buffet or super large room service order? It would be so worth it to us, I know its Christmas, but I will spend lots of green stuff if it helps!

Thanks so much in advance!

Pop-Pop

Hey Pop Pop,  it will probably be 3 tables of 6 or maybe 2 tables of 9 (10/8 maybe).  You don't really want a table for 18, it's impossible to interact with 17 other people at a table.  the move is the smaller tables and mix around on nights to have some dinners with everyone.

Sounds like a fund cruise!

You won't get a table larger than 10. It is logistics involved with the waitstaff and such. So you will more than likely get two tables at least. 

Specialty restaurants are much smaller, getting a table for 8 is hard. I had a group of 7 on my last sailing and we were competing for times because there was a group of 10 ad 8 as well. You might have to book the 9 and 9 and pay out of pocket so that it would be available.

Lastly, you can order as much room service as you want, just tip accordingly and let them know why. 

Thanks for easing the anxiety!

I'll def let the room steward know in advance and talk to room service about breakfast. I will generously tip (it's Christmas and they are working and we are not!).

In reality, that makes sense. It will be impossible to interact as a table of 18. As well as difficulty for staff.

I will get to a specialty restaurant after boarding to sort out the timing of those nights.

Still lots of organizing, but it is fun!

Thanks for the tips.

Pop-Pop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's probably what we will do. Whoever gets there 1st will fill 1st table and so on....

I am secretly hoping that my own gang will be feeding my wife and I grapes throughout the sailing!

I also am hoping we will be able to "squeeze" a highchair at each hibachi table, to fit at 2 stations.

We dont know how the grand kids hold up to all this of course, so plans have to stay pretty fluid.