Alaska Cruise and Land Tour

ZMANATL

I hoping the experience in this group can help.  Currently waiting on the 2025 Alaska cruise release to book for our 30th anniversary. My question is for those who've done land tours combined with the 7 night one way Alaska cruise.  How was your experience?  I picking Radiance class cruising south so my land tour, ie. more physically tiring part will be first. Did you book your land trip with Royal or a private operator?  If, private, were you happy with your operator.  Trying to make this special for wife because quite frankly after 30 years with me she deserves it.  Thanks

We've only been to Alaska once in 2018 and it was a very special trip like it sounds yours is. The difference was it was all my wife's idea.

She spent a year planning it with an outside company and we did 10 days on land before sailing southbound on Radiance just like you. We flew into Fairbanks and took the train the entire way down to Seward with several stops along the way of course. My general advice is to spend as much time on land as your schedule and wallet can afford (Alaska is not cheap).

The company she used was amazing. They planned the entire thing from lodges/hotels (they own some), to train tickets, to excursions. Our itinerary was revised 50+ times by the end. I'm not very adventurous and their planning made me comfortable with the whole thing (which went so smoothly I was amazed).

I think I'm allowed to share the company... https://www.alaskacollection.com/

I never even considered going to Alaska... and it was our best vacation ever. I've been thanking my wife for making me go for the past 5 years.

We have done the Alaska cruise tour 2 times and just the cruise 1 time.  We loved it both times.  This year we did the train tour and in 2016 we did the bus tour.  We absolutely love riding on the train.  The only thing I would say is that the hotel rooms are not the best in Talkeetna and Denali.  Both are on the older side and very "camp" like.  The hotels in Anchorage, Alyeska, and Fairbanks were very nice.  There is no food provided on the tour part so be aware that you will have to purchase food at restaurants.  We love Alaska and will probably do it again sometime in the future.  If you have any specific questions just ask.

28 minutes ago, Shari said:

the hotel rooms are not the best in Talkeetna and Denali

It's not cheap but if anyone does an independent land portion, the Denali Backcountry Lodge (owned by the company I mentioned above) is amazing. It's located at the very back of the park (i.e. the end of the road) and unfortunately I believe can only be reached via the air now with the road still impassable from a major rock slide a while ago.

We spent 2 nights back there, the food was excellent, flew around Denali in a 6-seater plane, etc. Also got to take the 93 mile bus ride both in and out. On the way out (very early in the morning) we had the entire bus to ourselves except for one lodge employee who was going into town to buy stuff and of course the driver so it was like a private tour. The driver told us we could stop more or less often than usual, whatever we wanted, as long as he got back to the front by a certain time. Hopefully they fix that road.