Bringing My Passport To Maho Beach

jayboy82

So we booked the Excursion at St. Maarten for the Maho Beach Plane Spotting.  I know the island is not part of the USVI and I found out through some research that Maho Beach doesnt have any lockers apparently.  So if you need your Passport to get on/off the ship, but your going to the beach...what do you do with it?  Mine is the passport book and i dont wanna risk it getting wet in some "water tight" bag, but im also pretty leery about just leaving it on the beach in a towel too. There are other cruisers on the beach so is everyone just leaving it wrapped in a towel? Any ideas would be helpful.

That would be great if we didnt!  A friend of mine mentioned needing one and so i called RCLs Customer Service last night and the Rep told me id need my Passport for every island, including USVI which didnt seem correct so i figured id ask here.  So to leave and reboard the ship even in none US territory we just need our Seapass and DL and thats good enough?

On 9/17/2023 at 1:34 PM, jayboy82 said:

That would be great if we didnt!  A friend of mine mentioned needing one and so i called RCLs Customer Service last night and the Rep told me id need my Passport for every island, including USVI which didnt seem correct so i figured id ask here.  So to leave and reboard the ship even in none US territory we just need our Seapass and DL and thats good enough?

Yes that is enough. 

To be honest no one has ever asked to see my DL to get back on the ship, just my Seapass.

On 9/16/2023 at 7:08 PM, jayboy82 said:

So we booked the Excursion at St. Maarten for the Maho Beach Plane Spotting.  I know the island is not part of the USVI and I found out through some research that Maho Beach doesnt have any lockers apparently.  So if you need your Passport to get on/off the ship, but your going to the beach...what do you do with it?  Mine is the passport book and i dont wanna risk it getting wet in some "water tight" bag, but im also pretty leery about just leaving it on the beach in a towel too. There are other cruisers on the beach so is everyone just leaving it wrapped in a towel? Any ideas would be helpful.

We have been to Maho Beach twice with Royal in the last 2 years and we were instructed to take a drivers license. Definitely no passport was needed. Maho Beach has basic amenities so you definitely do not want your passport left unattended.  

On 9/16/2023 at 8:08 PM, jayboy82 said:

By the way, if you want to save money and have more flexibility you can easily take a taxi from the cruise port to and from Maho beach. 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:34 AM, jayboy82 said:

I think the RCL Customer Service person was in error or working from the abundance of caution script.    I never needed a passport on any of the Caribbean islands I have been to, and I am Canadian so I needed one to board the ship.   the seapass in all of them yes and a few some sort of picture id (DL) was all ever needed.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:24 PM, Doug_Texas said:

By the way, if you want to save money and have more flexibility you can easily take a taxi from the cruise port to and from Maho beach. 

Agree.  If the excursion is just a ride to Maho Beach, just grab a taxi.  The Taxi process in St Maarten is very simple and they are not allowed to bull rush you at the port.  There will be signs to direct you to where they are set up.

Taxis for the return trip are constant.

Oh, and the larger plans start landing late morning, early afternoon IIRC.

To answer the original question, we have been there twice (2016 and 2018).  Never asked for a passport or DL.