Odyssey / Giovanni's Table - Truffled Caprese - is it oil? can be substituted?

hyphen82

Hi All! Very excited to be sailing on Odyssey in a couple weeks and very eager for Giovanni's Table. However, I'm quite bummed to hear that the great-looking caprese is tainted with truffle-infused burrata (it'd be one thing if it was kissed with a bit of real truffles but I'm guessing it's the crap oil that's doing the work here). Is it truly truffle oil simply flavoring the burrata? or is it just on top and I can request it be left out? Do we know if we're able to substitute NON-truffled burrata (or any fresh mozz) at all? 

Any other recommendations/must-haves for Giovanni's while I'm here? 

Thanks so much!

My friend, I know exactly what you're talking about.  It is cheap, exceptionally crappy truffle oil and mostly definitely not real truffles.  They had no problem leaving it off when we asked. 

BTW, if you haven't been, we went twice on a recent 10 day cruise (from Italy, to be fair), and twice left very hungry, frustrated and disappointed.  Lots of people on this board love it, and that's great, but neither of our experiences was positive.  Godspeed, just please don't pay "sticker price" for this place. In no event did I think either meal we had was worth >$50/head - thank God for the UDP. 

We did Giovanni's Kitchen, the table version is different, on Odyssey and order pretty much everything and repeats of items for our party of 6. No issues other than the mushroom pizza being garbage and bland. I want to chime in and say if you are on a MED sailing the food will taste different. I sailed Odyssey on her first trip back to the states and found everything to be a miss in terms of food because the ingredients were different. I did Giovanni's Kitchen on Freedom, and everything was amazing, but that was probably because of the ingredients. 

10 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

As for recommendations, the polenta/calamari app is great, so is the meatball Gigante. The steak and chicken Fettuccini entrees are excellent. 

Yes on the meat ball. I think when I first went (right after the restart and Odyssey had just set sail) the meatball was softball size now I think its down to baseball size🙁