First-time RC cruiser with questions

sandjb

I've been lurking and reading this board for a couple of months in preparation for our first RC cruise next month (Western Caribbean  - Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston). First, thanks to everyone for all the information shared here. I've read a lot but I'm still hazy on a couple of things so I have a few questions (apologies in advance, I get wordy when I write). This will be the second cruise for my wife and me but our first on RC (our other cruise was on Princess to Alaska several years ago). This time, we will be cruising with our three kids (15, 13, and 11).

First question (for Galveston/Houston locals): we're staying near the Space Center on Saturday night, and are planning to leave for the port at 9:30-10:00. I understand there has been a lot of construction between Houston and Galveston recently. Is there an accurate website that will show lane closures/delays for the day of? Or are Sunday mornings usually not a problem?

2: When can we expect to have access to our room, and our luggage to be delivered? Is there any sort of announcement that the rooms are available, or do you just have to drop by and see? We're planning to carry on a backpack with essentials in case our luggage is delayed getting to our room, but our kids are also going to want to swim and play for part of the afternoon. I've read that the main dining room dress code is a little more lax on the first night since some people won't have their luggage yet. But do you think we need to pack something in our backpacks to change into, just in case? I don't want to stick out, walking in there with swim shorts on. We can't go to the buffet on the first night, because we're supposed to meet someone for dinner in the MDR (early seating - 5:30).

3: How do towels work? This was a non-issue on our first cruise to Alaska. We never used the pool. I've read something about checking out towels by the pool using your sea pass card / just bringing towels from the room / having to turn them back in or getting a charge on your card. Can someone straighten this out for me? Can we take towels on excursions?

4: We're not getting a drink package but we do drink lots of water. Are there water fountains / water dispensers around the ship? Or can you order a glass of water from the pool bars free of charge?

5: We booked connecting staterooms. When we booked online, the system required us to assign at least one adult to each stateroom. So right now, our reservation shows one adult and one child in one room, and one adult and two children in the other room, though we intend to have the adults together and kids together. Is this something we can revise when we check in at the port, so we all get sea pass cards with access to the right room?

6: Our youngest will be 11 1/2 at the time of sailing and does a lot with his older siblings. Do the crew at the teen center check ages? Do kids have to use their sea pass cards to sign into activities to verify their age? If so, do we need to check in at the teen center when we get on board to get permission for our youngest to participate there? I seem to remember reading that others have received permission for their kids to do this.

Edit: remembered another question. I need to access the Internet for five of the days on the cruise to quickly fill out a form. I don't want to get a whole week's worth of Internet for what will amount to about 10 minutes total of Internet use. What do you think the best/cheapest way to go about this would be? I tried looking on RC website and the only pre-purchase options I see on there are for Surf/Stream packages, which seem like overkill. How much would one day of just surf internet access cost? Or a few minutes at the internet cafe?

I feel like I'm forgetting another one, so I may be back with more. :)  Thanks in advance!

Hopefully @Galveston Steve will be able to address the construction issue. Maker sure you read his post on Galveston to prepare for your arrival. Whatever you do, try to avoid Harborside Drive. 

Rooms are usually available between 1-2 and an announcement will be made. The dress code is often relaxed the first not, but swim shorts are never allowed at dinner, so bring some alternative. I tend to wear jeans on boarding day with my swim shorts in my carry-on. 

I don't see an alternative for internet access other than using your mobile device which would likely cost more because of cellular roaming charges. 

Regarding room assignment, you can go to Guest Services onboard to have a key made for the other room. Where you sleep isn't a concern to Royal. 

The teen club will likely allow your 11.5 year old to move up to the 12+ group, but it's at the discretion of the staff, so you'll need to ask onboard and explain the reason why. 

Welcome! So glad you decided to not lurk anymore!

31 minutes ago, sandjb said:

When can we expect to have access to our room, and our luggage to be delivered? Is there any sort of announcement that the rooms are available, or do you just have to drop by and see?

Your room will be ready at 1pm.  Your luggage will be delivered at some point after.  It's hard to say when, exactly but it will likely be delivered sometime in the afternoon. Rarely, it takes until later that evening.

Sometimes they make an announcement that your rooms are ready, but in terms of luggage, you just have to keep checking back.

32 minutes ago, sandjb said:

How do towels work?

Towels are provided in your stateroom for use in your shower.  In terms of towels at pool and/or on excursions, you can go to the pool deck and you will find a pool towel station. They scan your seapass card and you can take as many as you like. Return at your convenience, before the end of the cruise.  They then re-scan your card.

33 minutes ago, sandjb said:

Are there water fountains / water dispensers around the ship? Or can you order a glass of water from the pool bars free of charge?

No water fountains (health hazard) but there are dispensers at the quick service restaurants. Also, any bar or lounge will happily get you a glass of water for no charge.

34 minutes ago, sandjb said:

Is this something we can revise when we check in at the port, so we all get sea pass cards with access to the right room?

You really don't have to do anything.  Since they are connecting rooms, it doesn't matter unless your kids are older and you want to have proper access to each room (i.e. your kids stay out late and you dont want them waking you up when they return). 

Guest Relations onboard should be able to help you.  You can ask at check-in, but my guess is this is something to be handled onboard.

36 minutes ago, sandjb said:

Our youngest will be 11 1/2 at the time of sailing and does a lot with his older siblings. Do the crew at the teen center check ages? Do kids have to use their sea pass cards to sign into activities to verify their age?

When you register the kids, the crew will verify the age. This is done to ensure everyone in there is the right age. Every guest, including your kids, have a SeaPass card.

37 minutes ago, sandjb said:

How much would one day of just surf internet access cost? Or a few minutes at the internet cafe?

One day is $29.99.  I think there is an hourly or by the minute charge, but it's kind of pricey.

You could buy one package and share the package with the kids.  At $14.39/per day, it's not terribly expensive.  You could also opt to wait to use the internet while in port and likely find free or low cost wifi.

I'm not sure anyone understands how towels work on Royal as they're consistently inconsistent. You will either be able to grab towels by the pool or you'll be required to check them out by using your Seapass. If you have to check them out, you can exchange them endlessly. However, if you don't check them back in a charge of $25 per towel will appear on your account for a towel that's worth a couple of dollars. 

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

I'm not sure anyone understands how towels work on Royal as they're consistently inconsistent. You will either be able to grab towels by the pool or you'll be required to check them out by using your Seapass. If you have to check them out, you can exchange them endlessly. However, if you don't check them back in a charge of $25 per towel will appear on your account for a towel that's worth a couple of dollars. 

It varies ship-to-ship.  It seems to be up to the ship on how this will be handled.  Sometimes you need to check them out.  Sometimes you don't.  Sometimes you are threatened with being charged, but often that doesn't happen anyway.

And if you do get towels, it is best to make sure your card is rescanned when you turn them in. If they do forget or neglect to rescan, make sure you check your itemized bill before you dock. My wife turned her towel in the same evening, but they didn't rescan her Seapass, so we got a charge. However, they seem to be pretty good about reversing it if you talk to the folks at guest services.