Cruise Ship Smackdown Featuring Harmony of the Seas

DocLC

USA Today : Harmony of the Seas versus MSC Meraviglia

https://usat.ly/2tfjzun

While they don't really draw any conclusions, the photo tours of each ship are worth checking out. And while I am booked on the Meraviglia next year because of it's itinerary (Arctic Circle, which Royal doesn't offer), the Harmony wins in my opinion if for nothing more than space. The Harmony carries fewer people and is nearly 60,000 GRT bigger. More space with that many people is definitely needed and that's what the Harmony offers. And while the full size bowling alley is pretty cool, it's not original and it's a couple of lanes only. I also wonder how many people actually bowl anymore. At least her in California near where I live, 3 of the 5 bowling alleys within a half hours driver of my house have closed. 

34 minutes ago, DocLC said:

USA Today : Harmony of the Seas versus MSC Meraviglia

https://usat.ly/2tfjzun

While they don't really draw any conclusions, the photo tours of each ship are worth checking out. And while I am booked on the Meraviglia next year because of it's itinerary (Arctic Circle, which Royal doesn't offer), the Harmony wins in my opinion if for nothing more than space. The Harmony carries fewer people and is nearly 60,000 GRT bigger. More space with that many people is definitely needed and that's what the Harmony offers. And while the full size bowling alley is pretty cool, it's not original and it's a couple of lanes only. I also wonder how many people actually bowl anymore. At least her in California near where I live, 3 of the 5 bowling alleys within a half hours driver of my house have closed. 

I did read that article, pretty interesting. And your right, less people and a bigger ship means more space. If you haven't already, you should check out the article online about the cruise ship Ritz-Carlton is launching in 2019. Small, all suites and I'm sure, very expensive. Looks pretty nice for when one of us hits the Lotto!

2 minutes ago, DocLC said:

@Matt The cruise line gets very mixed reviews especially from North American cruisers. 

@FManke I tweeted that story about a week ago. While there longer will have brand recognition, I don't see how it's any different than say Viking River Cruises. 

Sorry I missed that. You are right about the Ritz-Carlton name. Alone it is just a name. I guess the only difference is that it truly looks like a ship, rather than the barge like vessels of a river cruise. Still interesting that a least someone is looking at building smaller ships again, albeit with a price range that most of us could not afford. At least not afford to cruise as much as some of us like to cruise.

15 minutes ago, FManke said:

Sorry I missed that. You are right about the Ritz-Carlton name. Alone it is just a name. I guess the only difference is that it truly looks like a ship, rather than the barge like vessels of a river cruise. Still interesting that a least someone is looking at building smaller ships again, albeit with a price range that most of us could not afford. At least not afford to cruise as much as some of us like to cruise.

I meant Viking Ocean Cruises.