Short vs long cruising

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking at a 4 day cruise to cuba in July 2018.  Because of the timing,  cost etc, we are looking at what seems a hugely short 4 day cruise.   I just was wondering how people treated the short cruises vs long.  I don't expect those to be like the 3 day party cruises, but do you pack differently,  do fewer specialty meals,  consider or don't consider the drink pkg? Or do you just prep as you would for a 7 night and overpack, look at ports in determining drink pkg, etc.  Not sure if all this makes sense!  Jane

It will go by quickly...so I guess the biggest thing is anything you want to see or do or experience on board, you have to do it and not procrastinate as those 4 nights go quickly!

As for drink and specialty meals etc, I think that would be more of a preference than dictated by the length of cruise? For me it would be anyways.

The #1 problem I have with 4 night cruises (besides the fact they go by so quickly) is with RC, it seems like you will need to take off 3-4 days from work because they tend to occur over weekdays.  Because of this, I'd rather take 1-2 more days off work and get a 7-night cruise!

If you're new to cruising, I also recommend against 3 or 4 night cruises. By going with a slightly longer cruise, you will have the opportunity to really explore the ship and enjoy the experience. Shorter cruises go by so quickly and for someone new to cruising, it may not provide enough time on ship or on shore to really get a sense of it all.

If you've cruised a lot, then it's less of an issue and I defer back to my original point.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

The #1 problem I have with 4 night cruises (besides the fact they go by so quickly) is with RC, it seems like you will need to take off 3-4 days from work because they tend to occur over weekdays.  Because of this, I'd rather take 1-2 more days off work and get a 7-night cruise!

If you're new to cruising, I also recommend against 3 or 4 night cruises. By going with a slightly longer cruise, you will have the opportunity to really explore the ship and enjoy the experience. Shorter cruises go by so quickly and for someone new to cruising, it may not provide enough time on ship or on shore to really get a sense of it all.

If you've cruised a lot, then it's less of an issue and I defer back to my original point.

This will be my 5th rc cruise (my 4th will be my shortest...a 6 day on freedom in march).  The problem with the 5 and 7 nights is they overnight in cuba and the price skyrockets vs the shorter one that doesn't.   You are right...the weekday thing is normally a problem,  but my husband and i teach so we are putting a cruise in between summer school and the regular year.   Im hoping with empress of the seas being a smaller ship that there won't be so many "man we missed that" moments like there would be on a big so like oasis.  I guess i have to decide if being able to drove down from illinois because we have time will save us enough to plug into a longer sailing.   Jane

32 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

It will go by quickly...so I guess the biggest thing is anything you want to see or do or experience on board, you have to do it and not procrastinate 

Very good point!  There is only 1 sea day so i would really have to decide what is "don't miss".  Thanks for your input.   Jane