Question about TransAtlantic on Voyager May 2024.

I'm excited about doing a TransAtlantic cruise B2B with an Eastern Mediterranean cruise. 

Except for an Alaskan cruise on Explorer many years ago I have never been on another Voyager class ship.   We loved the Alaskan cruise but I wasn't enthralled with Explorer because I liked Freedom class so much at the time.  I have now expanded my taste for Radiance class ships so size of the ship isn't that important to me. I think my main problem on Explorer was it wasn't well suited for Alaska in May.

My question is whether or not Voyager will be good ship for a TransAtlantic and a total of 26 days of cruising.  We enjoy 7 night B2B cruises but  26 days will be like B2B2B2B.   Long cruises with many ports are enjoyable for my wife.  I like the ship as the destination more than the ports so a TransAtlantic suits me well.  The Eastern Mediterranean cruise is 9 ports in 12 days including Barcelona, Rome and debarking in Athens so my wife is thrilled.  

I know this is about personal preferences but I will be interested in any and all comments.  Thanks 

Interesting...I hope to be on the same b2b2b cruises next year. It all depends on how my mother in law is doing, but I hope to go.

I was on Voyager recently and it is similar to Explorer, but the upgrades are slightly different. The gym moved to the back of the ship and was replaced by more staterooms. The Diamond lounge is on deck 5 just outside the star lounge. As I recall,  Explorer has it in the viking crown. Otherwise, there's not much difference. 

Btw, if you take the transatlantic all the way to Athens, then you can take 3 days to get to Amsterdam to jump on Jewel for an Arctic Circle cruise.  It is a wonderful combo.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, steverk said:

Interesting...I hope to be on the same b2b2b cruises next year. It all depends on how my mother in law is doing, but I hope to go.

I was on Voyager recently and it is similar to Explorer, but the upgrades are slightly different. The gym moved to the back of the ship and was replaced by more staterooms. The Diamond lounge is on deck 5 just outside the star lounge. As I recall,  Explorer has it in the viking crown. Otherwise, there's not much difference. 

Btw, if you take the transatlantic all the way to Athens, then you can take 3 days to get to Amsterdam to jump on Jewel for an Arctic Circle cruise.  It is a wonderful combo.

As it currently stands we will be going all the way to Athens.  That was my concession for my wife to agree to the TransAtlantic with a limited number of port stops.  I would have been satisfied with getting off and staying in Barcelona for a couple of days before heading for home. 

Going to Holland is tempting because I lived there for 2 years.  Holland seemed like home to me 50 years ago.   I don't think our budget can afford another cruise so that might have to wait.  However, I could justify a round-trip flight back to Europe in October for a TransAtlantic cruise home.  I should look at a cruise home via the Arctic Circle but it could be cold.

The logistics of traveling on land are daunting to me which is why we like cruising because there is time to relax.  I guess this trip in May 2024 will test how many days of relaxation we can get from a long cruise. 

My wife thinks I don't transition well but I do all the planning so she doesn't need to think about all the things that could happen. We booked staterooms where the gym used to be.  The staterooms on Voyager will be new and different.   I couldn't get the same stateroom for both cruises so that might be a bit of a transition.  My wife won't like changing rooms I'm pretty sure!

8 hours ago, cedricmr said:

I looked at your circuit in B2B, these are beautiful destinations to discover Europe. Many stops allow visits alone (cities are accessible from the port).

Yes ... I have to admit Europe is more accessible by land and sea. 

Fifty years ago I did my best imitation of the characters in "The Drifters" by James Michener.  I wasn't avoiding military duty though --- I was in the military.  I love Europe but I'm glad I didn't have to storm the beaches of Normandy or parachute into France. 

Eastern Europe was somewhat off limits to me at the time I was in Holland.   My wife and I adopted two girls from Romania later on in the 1990's.

I just got off of Voyager, and honestly, it depends on your style of cruising.

We spent 5 days in a family oceanview panoramic suite.  The crew was amazing (as always), the entertainment was meh (comedian just *had* to be political), food was edible.  On our cruise they ran out of the following:

- grapefruit

- grapes

- multiple selections of beer

- multiple selections of rum

- butter (for the table)

And this was on a five day cruise...

Dinner service was spotty.  Our first night we were in and out in 50 minutes.  The next three nights were 75 minutes, 128 minutes, and 70 minutes.  

Several things were down and broken during our cruise including:

- three public bathrooms (that I counted).  In the bathrooms that were open, several urinals and toilets were roped off

- one of our sinks in our suite (was fixed on day 3)

- two elevators

- One out of the two slides

- No coke/freestyle machine

We made the best of it, but it was definitely not what I expected.  We sailed on Grandeur last year on the same itinerary and she seemed in better shape than Voyager.  I was ready to be home by day 4, so I couldn't imagine taking that long of a trip on Voyager.