Seeking Solo Cruise Advice…

Russ D

Hi,

I am looking forward to my first solo cruise on Vision of the Seas May 25th-Jun 3rd. It’s been 20 years since my last cruise so not sure what has changed. I am looking forward to relaxing, getting some rays, reading a couple of good books. I am curious on some of the specialty restaurants as they weren’t prevalent on the ships back then. Do these dining facilities offer take out? I am thinking about eating in a peaceful spot while reading. Not wanting to do the dress up thing but would still like to try a couple of these restaurants.

thanks in advance,

Russ D.

I cruise solo a lot; I take my kindle and enjoy my meal. You could try takeout, but you would still need to make a reservation, and your server would have to put a cloche over your plate in order to take it to go. Considering they often don't put everything on one plate, you would be carrying a lot of hot ceramic plates to your destination. Most big ships don't have to-go containers, so I would imagine that a smaller ship like Vision wouldn't have the option at all. 

I spent 14 days on the Vision of the Seas April 2022. 

I had the 5-night specialty restaurant package.  Chops was good but not great and I felt comfortable in blue jeans and a polo shirt.  Giovanni's was very good.  I changed one of my nights from Chops to Giovanni's because the filet mignon was better at Giovanni's.  The first night I wore blue jeans and a polo shirt and the other nights I wore slacks and a polo shirt.  Izumi was very good but way too much food for one person.  The restaurant was not very crowded, and I ended up talking to the other two tables all night.  Any dress would be good there.  

I had my time dining all the other nights.  They asked if I wanted to share a table and I told them I preferred to eat alone.  They set me at a table not far away from 2 other solo travelers.  The wait staff soon learned my likes and dislikes and I was able to eat and be done with dinner in under an hour.  One night I was in a hurry and did a full dinner in 30 minutes.  The other important thing I learned is I could get desert to go.  They would give me my desert with a top, napkin with silverware.  I would take them back to my cabin and have them as a late-night snack.

In the last 1 1/2 year I have done 7 solo cruises and have loved every one of them.