Alaska Cruise with DWI or DUI

BD1157

29 minutes ago, BD1157 said:

My sister in law has one from about 8 years ago. So I'm thinking she probably can't go.

She will likely be able to go if she wants but only after taking some extra steps as discussed in the thread mentioned above.  If she's not willing to do those steps, she'll need to find a cruise that has no Canadian ports.

1 hour ago, BD1157 said:

Ovation And Quantum do Seattle roundtrip sailings.

The cruise has stop in Victoria, Canada.

Would a person with a DWI be able to do this cruise if they stayed on the ship?

My understanding is no.  Once you are within 12 miles of shore you are out of international waters and in Canada (or any other port/country).  Staying on the ship doesn't change anything.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

My understanding is no.  Once you are within 12 miles of shore you are out of international waters and in Canada (or any other port/country).  Staying on the ship doesn't change anything.

So, I have a question. When do they check? When you book? A few days before the cruise? At boarding? Some other time?

Now, something that is in my wheelhouse. There isn't a lot of uniformity in the USA on reporting things like this. In recent years, yes, more report to a state central repository. Some states (perhaps most) have a purge (and sometimes auto-purge) on driver's license data that may or may not carry over to a criminal repository. I have a charge from over 20 years ago that doesn't appear on any driving record and any limited criminal history available that is available to the public. I can't say with any certainty whether it shows up on criminal history checks given to governmental authorities, perhaps including foreign governments. 

You submit your passport or other identification during online checkin.  Royal submits the passenger list along with that information 2-3 days before the cruise.  Exactly how and when it gets distributed to the immigration authorities in each country is not something I'm familiar with.  There's a visa application process that goes on behind the scenes and yes they could deny boarding at the pier if Canada declines to grant a visa for a passenger.  If you've got more questions, I suggest using the other thread and tagging the posters who have gone through the process!

Edited to add - I just noticed that it wasn't the original poster that I'm replying to this time!

Edited by Atlantix2000

4 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You submit your passport or other identification during online checkin.  Royal submits the passenger list along with that information 2-3 days before the cruise.  Exactly how and when it gets distributed to the immigration authorities in each country is not something I'm familiar with.  There's a visa application process that goes on behind the scenes and yes they could deny boarding at the pier if Canada declines to grant a visa for a passenger.  If you've got more questions, I suggest using the other thread and tagging the posters who have gone through the process!

Edited to add - I just noticed that it wasn't the original poster that I'm replying to this time!

No, I don't really care. Canada isn't on my list of places to go. I was asking for curiosity's sake and for further information for others.