Cash

KentNC

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

No cash can only be added onboard. But be advised guest services is usually busy on embarkation day. You ca add cash at any point on the cruise.

Credit Card authorizations are run nightly and yes, you can go to guest services anytime during the cruise to add cash to your account, but you will still have a hold on your credit / debit card for any previous days activities.  These holds usually take about a week to clear after your cruise ends, so I would advise that if you are going to use cash and want to avoid a hold on your credit or debit card, go to guest services quickly on day 1.

Personally, I avoid cash and just use my card as it is a lot safer as I have recourse to dispute the bill as needed, I get cash back, and I don't have to wait in line to deal with guest services on day one.  However, there are some die hard "cash is king" people who would prefer not to use a credit/debit card, so please don't take my personal opinion and preference the wrong way.

Yeah I prefer a credit card for shipboard charges for that very same reason, Cash is more for local mom and pop type places that may not have access to or don't want to pay the fees involved with processing cards. It's also useful in situations when POS systems may be down, that's one main reason I started carrying cash again after being out of town and the gas station's terminal went down.