Voom Multiple Device/Multiple Rooms Question

We have two rooms booked on an upcoming Anthem cruise in December for our family of 4.  I'm looking at the options for Voom and it is cheaper to purchase 3 devices under the parent name in Room 1 than buy 3 individual devices (per person) across Rooms 1 and 2.  It seems like booking 3 devices under parent name would work, yet I don't want to make an assumption and up with 3 devices that will only work under 1 name/user name that can't (all 3) be logged in simultaneously.  So, will this work or should I buy 1 device per named individual in the cruise planner.  Thanks!    

Yes that will work.

With a 3 device plan you create one login that allows 3 devices to be connected to the internet at the same time.  It doesn't matter where those devices are on the ship.

The only side effect of a multi device plan is that someone with the credentials can attempt to login another device beyond the number of devices purchased.  When that occurs, device 4 in this case, it will kick off one of the 3 already connected devices.  

For example let's say a teenager brings a Nintendo Switch and a smartphone.  Your plan is that they consume 1 of the 3 devices.  They connect their smartphone and two other people connect their two devices.  All is good so far, three devices are connected.

Then they want their Switch connected so they enter the username and code on the Switch which is device #4 at this point.  One of the three already connected devices is automatically disconnected and the Switch becomes connected. 

The proper way to handle this would be for the teenager to log off their smartphone and then connect the Switch.  Anyone can disconnect their device by browsing to logout.com and then they can use the credentials on a different device to connect a different device.  If they fail or forget to log out their first device before connecting another device the system will randomly disconnect one of the earlier connected devices.  

34 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Irrelevant to your example, but I haven't yet found a way to get a Switch connected to ship Wifi. Every google tip and trick hasn't worked.

This doesn't work?

https://hoteltechreport.com/news/nintendo-switch-hotelwifi

Troubleshooting Nintendo Switch on WiFi

Some guests on Reddit and YouTubereport having trouble connecting to the login page (the step after you hit next to register). One hotel front desk manager noted that hotel connections are just slower. The solution he used was to set up the Switch to not go to sleep and leave it trying to connect: “After a while, the login window does pop-up. I tried it myself and it does work, it stays trying to connect for 15-20 minutes, but in the end the window does appear so that you can just use your hotel's login credentials or whatever.”

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

This doesn't work?

https://hoteltechreport.com/news/nintendo-switch-hotelwifi

Troubleshooting Nintendo Switch on WiFi

Some guests on Reddit and YouTubereport having trouble connecting to the login page (the step after you hit next to register). One hotel front desk manager noted that hotel connections are just slower. The solution he used was to set up the Switch to not go to sleep and leave it trying to connect: “After a while, the login window does pop-up. I tried it myself and it does work, it stays trying to connect for 15-20 minutes, but in the end the window does appear so that you can just use your hotel's login credentials or whatever.”

I never get a "registration is required to use this network" message with an enabled Next button. It just gives a connection error

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I never get a "registration is required to use this network" message with an enabled Next button. It just gives a connection error

Turn wifi on Switch off.  Change laptop MAC address to be that of Switch.  Log into Voom using laptop.  Turn wifi off on laptop.  Turn wifi on Switch on.  Connect Switch to ship wifi.  Set laptop MAC back to default.  

That should make the Switch be connected to the internet.

Use your wifi router at home to discover the Switch MAC address before you leave home.   

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Yes that will work.

With a 3 device plan you create one login that allows 3 devices to be connected to the internet at the same time.  It doesn't matter where those devices are on the ship.

The only side effect of a multi device plan is that someone with the credentials can attempt to login another device beyond the number of devices purchased.  When that occurs, device 4 in this case, it will kick off one of the 3 already connected devices.  

Thank you, @twangster!  This is exactly what I needed to know, and I appreciate your helpful response.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Turn wifi on Switch off.  Change laptop MAC address to be that of Switch.  Log into Voom using laptop.  Turn wifi off on laptop.  Turn wifi on Switch on.  Connect Switch to ship wifi.  Set laptop MAC back to default.  

That should make the Switch be connected to the internet.

Use your wifi router at home to discover the Switch MAC address before you leave home.   

I don't take a laptop, but it looks like I can accomplish the same with my son's chromebook or my old rooted samsung tablet. I'll give that a try in July.