Insurance claim for cruise change fee on non-refundable cruise

Lily Wang

Hello! Last 5/5/22 we booked 7 days Caribbean cruise with RCL, then on 5/23/22, we changed to Med Cruise with different ship but on the same dates , on 10/14/22, we had cancel the cruise because one of passengers , my Mom, is not allowed by her doctor to fly due to her heart condition , so we contacted insurance co to file the claim on non-refundable deposit for 3 of us, $750 ($250@x3) plus Cruise change fee ($300) , affect 4 months waiting , we received the flowing refund , $151 , $151 and $191, because the amount is way below what we have been waiting for , I called RCL to find out if Cruise change fee, $300, is also non-refundable , I was told “Yes”.   The final payment was 1/23/23, but other than deposits and cruise change fee we didn’t pay anything else before canceling the cruise. Are those amounts the only money we can get ? Anyone had the same experience as us? Cruise change fee is really non-refundable ?  I read online that  Insurance Co doesn’t cover Cruise Change fee.  Any feedback is welcome.  Thanks 

On 5/5 you booked a 7 day Caribbean and on 5/23 changed to a Med cruise. But your medical cancelation didn't happen till 10/14 and had nothing to do with the original change. So that change fee wouldn't be covered by insurance. And change fees are not refundable. Can't speak for your deposits, but you are not intitled to a refund insurance or otherwise on your change fee. That was a choice you made and had nothing to do with your later medical issue.