Traveling with low vison

Not only will my first cruise on Ovation of the seas this October. It will also be my first cruise ever. It will also be the first time traveling solo with low vision.  Depending on where I'm traveling within my own city and comfort level I use a white cane to help assist in getting to destinations.  For anyone who has or traveled with someone with low vison or sight problems. How did that affect your vacation pre cruise such as flight, onboard as well excursions.

Looking forward to October.

The podcast episode @Matt referenced was an excellent resource. 

My only other suggestion is that Royal Caribbean does have a special needs form you can submit in advance of your cruise. What accommodations might be available to you will likely vary somewhat from ship-to-ship, but this will at least let the ship staff know ahead of time and they can let you know what assistance or options might be available. It also helps them so they know who might need assistance in the event of an emergency. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

As far as excursions go, the one thing I would mention is to do your research on any that involve significant walking. In many excursions, the walking paths can be rocky and uneven. For example, I have a family member who is blind in one eye and she had to be very cautious on those trips because of depth perception issues. Just something to keep in mind. 

Have a great time!

25 minutes ago, WesKinetic said:

The podcast episode @Matt referenced was an excellent resource. 

My only other suggestion is that Royal Caribbean does have a special needs form you can submit in advance of your cruise. What accommodations might be available to you will likely vary somewhat from ship-to-ship, but this will at least let the ship staff know ahead of time and they can let you know what assistance or options might be available. It also helps them so they know who might need assistance in the event of an emergency. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

As far as excursions go, the one thing I would mention is to do your research on any that involve significant walking. In many excursions, the walking paths can be rocky and uneven. For example, I have a family member who is blind in one eye and she had to be very cautious on those trips because of depth perception issues. Just something to keep in mind. 

Have a great time!

Thanks for the reply. I've filled out the accommodations form.  Similar to the cruise, been looking more into not just what I'd like to do. Just making sure it would be comfortable in doing. Like the walking tour example.