In-room babysitting

Anybody utilize the in-room babysitting?  Thoughts?  Advice? We are taking our 16 month old for the first time and she typically goes to bed around 730.  We were thinking of possibly getting in-room babysitting for a couple hours when she goes down.

I did it once in 2013 on Jewel of the Seas. This was before nursery's were available on most ships.

The service worked well and we were happy, but there was no way to really reserve things in advance. Basically, Guest Services would attempt to find a crew member who had spare time to babysit.

My advice is to use the nursery. Not only is it cheaper, but they have cribs and the staff is trained quite well.

We went on our first cruise last year with our our two year old.  We asked the genie to arrange in room sitting each evening and he was adamant that we should use the nursery.  I was very hesitant but decided to give it a try.  Wow-was I impressed!!!  I dropped him off before our dinner with his pj's.  When we returned, they had played with him, fed him a "late night snack", changed him, rocked him and then put him in our stroller to sleep.  When we returned, I wheeled him to our room and transferred to the pack n play.  It was the easiest night out ever!!!

After that, we used almost every night and he happily went in.  The staff become familiar to him.  They were incredible and much cheaper than a sitter at home.  They even put him in his sleep sack!!

I would highly recommend a Maclaren stroller.  They are small and very comfortable.  We got the one that reclines so it was great for getting him back to the room.  Good luck!!

On 5/6/2017 at 7:28 AM, tgold said:

he was adamant that we should use the nursery.  I was very hesitant but decided to give it a try.  Wow-was I impressed!!!  I dropped him off before our dinner with his pj's.  When we returned, they had played with him, fed him a "late night snack", changed him, rocked him and then put him in our stroller to sleep.  When we returned, I wheeled him to our room and transferred to the pack n play.  It was the easiest night out ever!!!

Couldn't agree more on the level of service offered by the nursery. They are terrific!

I'm going to give another +1 for the nursery.  Not sure what ship you are on, but I know on Freedom, Anthem, and Oasis, the nursery had a separate/quiet room for cribs.  They even let me go in there one night and nurse and put her to sleep myself if that would make you more comfortable.  My daughter (now 2.5) has spent many hours and evenings in the nursery, and we can't say enough great things.  They are exceptional with her, do everything just as we ask (she has an allergy and they are so accommodating),and Kenzie loves it.  We've even gotten to the point where we are comfortable enough leaving her in the nursery while we go on shore.