First time to Alaska - lots of questions

RSC

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a cruise to Alaska from Vancouver (return) with my family. I have two teenagers. Is it worth the extra to get a suite? Is there anything additional included with a suite? And is it worth getting a drinks package? I understand internet access and gratuities are extra. Apart from specialty dining, what else are extra costs?

If one of my kids is over 18, is it possible to get put them in a separate connecting room or are they considered too young to stay on their own? I'm just trying to explore different options for the four of us.

I've been looking on Royal Caribbean's website and doing Google searches, but it's difficult to find all the answers. 

I know it's a lot of questions, so I appreciate all answers. Thank you so much! 

Is this going to be your first cruise?  What a way to start out! Alaska is beautiful! Depending on how much you guys drink, the drink package may not be worth it. For a 7-day cruise you will likely pay $70+ pp/per day and everyone of drinking age in the cabin is required to get it if you purchase one package. Gratuities are also added to that cost but the most expensive drinks on board are around $14/15 each so you would need to consume about 5 drinks a day... which may not be a problem on sea days but you will likely have quite a few port days in which you won't be drinking on the ship because you'll be enjoying all that Alaska has to offer!

For the potential solo room - you will be paying close to the same price for double occupancy as you would for just one person in the room so if you want all four of you in the same room a suite may make more sense or you could start out with 2 balconies if you want more privacy. I'd definitely recommend at least a balcony for Alaska so you can really enjoy all the views from your own room! Think Morning coffees!

Shore excursions are another big added cost to consider. There are a lot of offerings in Alaska so you don't want to miss out and booking them in advance seems like the way to go these days to ensure they don't sell out. I highly recommend booking excursions through Royal versus a third party for added security...just in case something goes wrong and you're delayed getting off/back on the ship, the ship will wait for you! They're pretty reasonable IMO for the most part.

Most shows and dining venues are included. Yes, gratuities are added and I always tip additional cash to my head waiter, assistant waiter, and cabin steward while on board but we like pre-paying the gratuities. 

If you want to have laundry done/pressing - that is extra as is specialty dining, drinks (if you don't have a package), the SPA (I highly recommend splurging on at least one service), art auctions (if you purchase anything), internet which you already know, and calls (if you want to make any). Those are the big things that I can think of right now.

I hope it's an amazing cruise whatever you decide - welcome to the forum here where all questions are welcomed! 

19 hours ago, RSC said:

Is it worth the extra to get a suite?

19 hours ago, RSC said:

And is it worth getting a drinks package?

19 hours ago, RSC said:

I understand internet access and gratuities are extra. Apart from specialty dining, what else are extra costs?

19 hours ago, RSC said:

If one of my kids is over 18, is it possible to get put them in a separate connecting room or are they considered too young to stay on their own?

Yes! https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2022/02/15/mailbag-whats-the-best-cruise-ship-cabin-my-family