Bringing food off the ship into port

Only prepackaged and unopened did cab be taken off the ship, which means you're primarily limited to single serve boxes of cereal from the Windjammer at breakfast, what you might buy in the shops (e.g., candy bars), or what you might bring onboard with you.

Same goes for unopened beverages? What about travel mugs?

Same goes for unopened beverages? What about travel mugs?

I've never had any issues with beverages in travel mugs. I did, however, see people forced to throw their coffee away in one port, but that's only happened once. Mexico, particularly Cozumel, is the most strict and had food sniffing dogs at the port.

I've never had any issues with beverages in travel mugs. I did, however, see people forced to throw their coffee away in one port, but that's only happened once. Mexico, particularly Cozumel, is the most strict and had food sniffing dogs at the port.

I hope we don't run into any rogue Mounties at our Canadian ports this Oct! :) 

This question might be better answered if you can share what you have in mind to bring off the ship?

We always grab a couple boxes of cereal for the kids to bring off the ship.  It's an easy snack and it transports quite well.

On a couple of occasions I have tried to bring something like a slice of pizza off the ship (one for the road), and if the crew members see it, they tell me no.  

But there may or may not have been times in which the food was accidentally left in my backpack and made it off without issue.  Just saying.

This question might be better answered if you can share what you have in mind to bring off the ship?

We always grab a couple boxes of cereal for the kids to bring off the ship.  It's an easy snack and it transports quite well.

On a couple of occasions I have tried to bring something like a slice of pizza off the ship (one for the road), and if the crew members see it, they tell me no.  

But there may or may not have been times in which the food was accidentally left in my backpack and made it off without issue.  Just saying.

If you accidentally left something in your backpack, how well are they really checking?

Was thinking about bread rolls, pastries, cookies? Just things for kids to snack on in case they don't like the food available in port. Small boxes of cereal would work.

Was thinking about bread rolls, pastries, cookies? Just things for kids to snack on in case they don't like the food available in port. Small boxes of cereal would work.

Shove them in a backpack, and you should be fine.  Officially you are not supposed to bring food off the ship, but I really cannot imagine why.

Guest toodle68

In Cozumel they had special food sniffing dogs check every bag and removed every single item of food. The amount of food piling up was amazing that people were taking off the ship. On the way back in, all liquid had to be thrown, even sealed water bottles. 

In Cozumel they had special food sniffing dogs check every bag and removed every single item of food. The amount of food piling up was amazing that people were taking off the ship. On the way back in, all liquid had to be thrown, even sealed water bottles. 

Wow, very interesting. I get the whole ecosystem thing, but perhaps I'm just ignorant of the impact a slice of pizza or box of cereal will have on the environment.

Wow, very interesting. I get the whole ecosystem thing, but perhaps I'm just ignorant of the impact a slice of pizza or box of cereal will have on the environment.

Maybe it's also the economic environment they are protecting? Albeit perhaps small, if you bring food or drink off the ship, you won't need to by it in port. Just like you can't bring food into the ballpark or stadium of your choosing? Just a thought.