Tips on cruising Australia/NZ with travel from the US

FSUFAN

Mrs Fan and I are going to be celebrating our 40th Anniversary in Feb 2023 and we want to do something "big".  I have been looking at the logistics of travel from the US to Sydney and then the 10 Day on the Ovation OTS.  I'm sure that this has been done by folks on this board.  Any thoughts, tips or suggestions?

It's a Very Long Way to get there. I would suggest taking a bit of extra time and breaking it up, like fly to Hawaii for a few days, or at least to LAX. You could do a bit of celebrating all the way there! 

Also, plan a couple of days beforehand in Sydney, both to see the city and also get over the jetlag.

We cruised from Auckland to Sidney in 2018, flying from NC. My tip is to travel 2 to 3 days early but be prepared for luggage delays. Have extra clothes in carryon. It was a long flight but we did have a few hours in Tahiti changing planes. Go inland. Cities are, well, just cities. People super friendly!

Honestly, the flight is not as bad as everyone says it is. Living in NZ now, and having lived in Aus previously, I've done the transpacific both ways 2-3 times a year for ages.

If you're worried about how long it it, Hawaii is a great stopover, especially if flying from the East Coast. 

Ideally try to get a flight that arrives in Sydney early in the morning and hit the ground running. The daylight helps with the jet lag and February is peak summer sunshine!

If you can only tack on a few days before or after, Sydney has plenty to do and see within the city surrounds. If you can tack on an extra week or two, hiring a car is a great option to see more of Australia and you could easily drive to Melbourne or the Gold Coast and fly back from one of those. Yes, you could fly directly to them as well but an Aussie road trip is a quintessential experience (and driving on the left is not as terrifying as it sounds. )