Comparison to Another Cruise Line

Hi everyone, I have only cruised on Carnival Cruise Lines - twice on one of their newer ships, Magic. I know that Carnival has a bad reputation, often being compared as the "Walmart" cruise line, but the truth is we enjoyed both our cruises. I can only speak for the Magic ship, but it was really nice. Was it perfect? Of course not, but no big complaints.

Now we are wanting to branch out and try other cruise lines. I am from Texas so we leave from Galveston (where Carnival is year round), but Royal is also there and I have heard lots of good things about Royal! One of my good friends only cruises with them and refuses to even try Carnival.

What I'm interested in is hearing from those that have cruised from both cruise lines and learning about some differences between them. What can I expect from Royal that is different than Carnival? I'll be honest and say the food on Carnival can be mediocre... is Royal any better? What else?

I'm not interested in bashing either cruise line, just want to hear what's different. :)

Welcome - I do feel that the RCI ships are nicer overall and yes have better food than Carnival

ONE huge noticeable difference is announcements - I think Carnival makes more announcements

ship wide of things to do than any other line and it gets tiring to me- so I love that RCI and other

lines are "quietier"  in that respect.

The newer Carnival ships are not bad (I've toured about 10 lines and over 30 ships) but they

have similar decorating styles that is loud to me and again like the more subtle themes of

other lines.

Others?

Thank you. I can't wait to try Navigator of the Seas! We just got back from our cruise so it will be a while - boo hoo.

Michelle, it's funny you mention that about the announcements. It seems like when James (the director) speaks, the whole ship has to stop and listen! Other activities were interrupted when he made his announcements. We were listening to karaoke and the singers were even interrupted, which I thought was a little unnecessary, maybe even rude.

Well I can't believe that it's been 24 years since I sailed on Carnival. That probably disqualifies me on this thread but my perception is that Royal Caribbean is just a step above on service, food quality, entertainment quality. I really enjoyed my two Carnival cruises years ago but noticed this step up when we sailed Royal Caribbean.

I will say that the thing that I think really sets Royal Caribbean apart is innovation. They always seem to be a step ahead of the competition. Innovations like the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, virtual balconies, helipads, Broadway shows, dynamic dining, and many others set Royal apart from most other cruise lines, including Carnival.

I'm really excited to board Navigator here in Galveston next week and check out the refurbishments.

Hi everyone, I have only cruised on Carnival Cruise Lines - twice on one of their newer ships, Magic. I know that Carnival has a bad reputation, often being compared as the "Walmart" cruise line, but the truth is we enjoyed both our cruises. I can only speak for the Magic ship, but it was really nice. Was it perfect? Of course not, but no big complaints.

Now we are wanting to branch out and try other cruise lines. I am from Texas so we leave from Galveston (where Carnival is year round), but Royal is also there and I have heard lots of good things about Royal! One of my good friends only cruises with them and refuses to even try Carnival.

What I'm interested in is hearing from those that have cruised from both cruise lines and learning about some differences between them. What can I expect from Royal that is different than Carnival? I'll be honest and say the food on Carnival can be mediocre... is Royal any better? What else?

I'm not interested in bashing either cruise line, just want to hear what's different. :)

Hi ATXCruiser, our first cruises were with Carnival and we have sailed on the Triumph and the Pride and we found them to be ok. 

If i could put it down to ratings i would give Carnival 3 stars and RC 5 stars + not because Carnival was bad but because RC is so much better, here are some reasons why.

1) The ships are huge and look amazing

2) The food is of a much better quality and the Windjammer Buffet is we think one of the best at sea. We don't do MDR much but when we have it has been very good but where RC come into their own is Speciality Restaurants and they have some great ones :D you must try Chops Grille if you love Steaks then you won't find better (check out Tylors page on food photos he has some great pics) and the desserts are to die for.

3) The rooms are of a very good standard with pretty big balconys and are very well equipped.

4) The entertainment is very very good with great shows both on stage and on ice and the Royal Promenade (only available on some class of ships) is fantastic for shops, food and great night shows you must see the 70s dance party it's awsome :) .

I could go on and on but as you may have guessed we are now hooked on RC and as I said it's not because Carnival are bad it's because RC are sooooooooooooooooooo much better  :D  :D  :D .