Questions about the Travel Protection Program

Hey, first time cruisers here planning a trip for a family of 4.

I am wondering if RC's TPP covers airfare, aka do I still need to purchase travel insurance through the airline? I started to read the policy documents and figured I'd just try asking here, hoping one of you understands it well and can give a quick answer. What happens if we have to cancel our trip due to testing positive for covid? 

Thanks in advance!

You want coverage that covers you door to door.  From what I've seen, it only covers the cruise portion, so you have to call and add the airfare and hotel, or whatever is involved in your vacation (and change the dates of travel if you are flying out ahead of time).  For this reason I personally just arrange my own travel insurance.

1 hour ago, bcunningham said:

What happens if we have to cancel our trip due to testing positive for covid?

The cruise would be refunded under the current Royal policy, no travel insurance required. Any other nonrefundable trip costs you would have to eat or have covered by travel insurance.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Please note, it is also WAY less expensive to book the travel insurance when you book the cruise.  Once we forgot and it was about $ 150 extra per person for the trip.  Since we fly we do the airline insurance with the airline and not Aon (insurance carrier for RC and a few other cruise lines).  With Celebrity you can do the insurance anytime before your last payment, without a "penalty".