Keep the Key??

Jen40

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice from seasoned cruisers! 

This is our first cruise with Royal Caribbean, we were originally booked into an ocean view balcony on Odyssey of the Seas, and had added the Key Program.  Mainly for the priority boarding / debarkation, and as we're on the Greek Isle cruise, the priority tenders.

We've just won (yay!) our Royal Up to a Junior Suite, and whilst i know it doesn't hold as many perks as the other suites, it seems to come with priority boarding.

All of our excursions are booked with royal caribbean, and i've just read that they are prioritised at tender too.

With this in mind, has any one had the experiences Junior Suite / The Key for ports where you're tendered?  would you keep the key now we've upgraded or cancel it?

Thanks for your thoughts, all appreciated as i'm being a bit indecisive!! 

Hi Waaaytooo, there's only 2 of us, the key was 322 euro for the week.  

When i booked, i'd thought Chops lunch was served in Chops, but i see it's MDR now, which i also understand you can go to if you wish on embarkation day at no charge?

We've 2 tenders during the cruise, both excursions are with RCCL, and i was reading that RCCL are prioritised, so i wasn't sure then if there was a benefit to the key priority in that case?

We're torn on the wifi!  Hubby says no as we'll have normal signal when docked, but i don't know if you'll still get signal when tendered as it's further out than docking

24 minutes ago, Jen40 said:

When i booked, i'd thought Chops lunch was served in Chops, but i see it's MDR now, which i also understand you can go to if you wish on embarkation day at no charge?

We've 2 tenders during the cruise, both excursions are with RCCL, and i was reading that RCCL are prioritised, so i wasn't sure then if there was a benefit to the key priority in that case?

We're torn on the wifi!  Hubby says no as we'll have normal signal when docked, but i don't know if you'll still get signal when tendered as it's further out than docking

Welcome to the boards! Based on what you've said here, I would cancel the Key and spend that money on other things.

For clarification, the Key boarding lunch is in the MDR but is the Chops menu, so it is different than the free dining option.

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Jen40 said:

Hmmm…. This would be a hard decision for me.  With 2 tender ports I would say the Key perk there is pretty valuable.  Since it’s just 2 of you and if you are going to purchase the internet package anyway, I would probably keep it.

Key passengers are given tender priority so you would be among the first to disembark from the ship at the tender ports.  As @KristiZsaid, you embarkation lunch is in the MDR but it is the Chops lunch menu so it’s basically eating at Chops in a really big Chops venue.

You are correct that the JS will give you priority boarding so the Key probably isn’t giving you anything there…the other Key perk that comes to mind is being able to drop your carry-on bags off (I think it’s near the theater) and having them delivered to your JS later.  

My vote would be….if the cost of the Key is within $5 per person per day of the cost of the internet package, then keep the Key.  That would mean that you’re paying $10 per day for all of the other Key perks (assume $70 if you are on a 7 night cruise). With 2 tender ports + Chops lunch + carry-on bag drop, I think that’s worth $70.  If the cost of the Key is greater than $5 pp/pd then it probably isn’t worth the cost.