Reserving Excursions

Drewmommy

If I want to reserve an excursion in my Cruise Planner, will I get charged right away similar to when I purchased Voom? I thought I could just reserve but it's asking for credit card information. I am expecting some OBC and wanted to use it towards excursions.

You'll be charged right away when you complete your booking; however, you can cancel later before sailing if you wish.

Sorry - one more question.  If it's cheaper to pre-purchase things like Voom, the beverage package, excursions, etc., what is left to use the OBC for other than gratuities?

They are currently having a sale and I wanted to take advantage of that.  Is the only way to pay with OBC to make the excursion reservation onboard?

Yes, the only way to get the sale price is to buy ahead and pay for the items that you purchase.  There is no way to apply the OBC to those items generally speaking (one person did mention that their OBC showed up online, but I'm guessing that was a test as I've never seen that).  At nearly $15 per person, per day for gratuities, that can often use up most of the OBC people have.  You can choose to wait on excursions, but there's always a risk they'll sell out, and they won't be discounted onboard like they sometimes are online.  And generally speaking, the best prices on the drink packages and on Voom are to prepurchase at a discount.  The only exception might be if you have a high-level C&A status that might offer a substantial discount onboard.

One other consideration regarding booking online or booking on the ship, and I know this from experience. Booking on board, you stand in line for awhile only to find out the excursion you wanted is sold out (as DocLC said above). So, you have now wasted valuable cruise time for nothing. Always better to book everything you can online at home rather than "on line" once on board.