Kids sail free and adjoining rooms

We want to book another cruise (we haven’t even gone on the first one we booked yet). We want my wife, myself, and my oldest grandchild in one room and one booking. And my daughter, her husband, and her two youngest in another room. We want adjoining rooms. On the deck plan are the adjoining rooms the ones with the black arrows next to each other? Also do we need a promo for kids sail free?

Yes. Connecting staterooms are the ones with the black arrows.  You don't need a promo code for kids sail free, but you do need to read the fine print for blackout dates:

Kids Sail Free applies to new bookings made between May 3 – 31, 2022 (“Offer Period”) on sailings departing on or after June 1, 2022 – April 30, 2023 (“Offer Cruise”), providing free cruise fare for third guests and higher who are 12 years old and younger as of Offer Cruise departure date on sailings 3 nights or longer booked in the same stateroom as the first two qualifying guests in a triple or quad- occupancy stateroom. Kids Sail Free excludes Thanksgiving sailings departing November 18, 2022 – November 25, 2022, Holiday sailings departing December 21, 2022 – January 6, 2023, Spring break sailings departing March 10, 2023 – March 24, 2023, Holy Week/Easter sailings departing April 1, 2023 – April 11, 2023 and Rhapsody of the Seas sailings departing from Haifa, Israel between August 5 – October 28, 2022. Taxes, fees, and port expenses are additional and apply to all guests.

If you select 2 cabins when doing your booking there will be a box to check off for connecting rooms.  Despite checking that box off it may still show you cabins that are not connecting.  Yes, the black two way arrow indicates connecting cabins (connected by an interior door).

Something else to consider might be to see if your ship has a room for 5.  We did that on my daughter's sweet 16 on Mariner of the Seas -booked a cabin that slept 6-spacious panoramic view, it had a separate bed area-bunk beds, pull out couch and the standard bed arrangement..  Those cabins have to be booked via a travel agent. Then you can book a cabin for the 2 of you.