My brothers ongoing saga

I’m so sorry this happened. It really does suck. We’ve taken Royal’s insurance several times but after reading the horror stories here, we opted for 3rd party from here on out.

Bottom line: you (your brother) trusted the policy would cover anything that happened. It didn’t. Tough lesson to learn. Always read the policy. 

We went with an Allianz annual policy. It has coverage for Covid too. Best part: we have 5 trips covered for what Royal’s insurance covered for 2 cruises. 

We also could increase certain coverage. Whether it be trip cancellation, interruption, medical etc. 

Again sorry he ended up on the wrong end of the policy

@Pooch sorry for your troubles. I'm always watching the weather forecasts when we have to travel during winter months. If it looks like we're going to be impacted, I consider traveling out early. So far I haven't had trouble getting out, but three years in a row I was "stuck" in Palm Springs in February, oh dear! We just missed that March storm as we left for FL on March 24th for our Wonder cruise.

@Pooch  That stinks! But I hope this catastrophe doesn’t turn you or your family away from cruising. I also hope you are able get some reimbursement for the lost money. This is like hitting the Crap Lottery. You won the perfect storm of disappointing circumstances hitting at exactly the worst time. And it really stinks thinking you did everything right by protecting your expenditure with insurance…only to find out about the limits of the policy after you try to file a claim. But who would think there would be such a prolonged shutdown of air travel due to storms at both destinations?…at the exact time that would make them miss the cruise. I really hope you can get some satisfaction and try for a do over family cruise vacation…and I hope it’s the best cruise ever! Best of luck!

10 hours ago, Pooch said:

I asked my TA to forward a copy of the policy.  Thanks Ashley, I’ll try anything at this point!

The policy language is going to dictate if there is a claim or not. I always assumed that when you purchased the policy through Royal you were really only covering the cruise portion. To claim for missing the cruise you would have to qualify under the terms specified in the policy.

Looking at what @CGTLH linked, if the policy purchased includes the Cruise Vacation Cancellation Enhancement it appears that your brother could claim under that component and would receive 90% of the cruisefare back as FCC.

To be eligible for the credits:

1. The travel protection plan must be purchased prior to having made final payment for the cruise; and

2. Notification of cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship's departure.

The actual insurance component it appears that the flight issues are not a reason you can file a claim for trip interruption which is the big payout coverage.  The reasons you could actually claim this are rather limited.

The Missed Connection or Trip Delay coverage only have small benefit amounts, but it looks like this would be claimable under the Missed Connection since the "Common Carrier" (i.e. airline) caused him to miss the "connection" to the cruise ship. Trip Delay would only be in claimable if he had actually made the cruise but incurred additional expenses to do so (i.e. rental car or booking a flight on a different airline).

Keep in mind it's quite common for insurance companies to find ways to interpret the policy to avoid paying a claim.

I had a similar experience with Allianz when Southwest cancelled all flights to my cruise city.  Allianz initially denied my claim and we went back and forth numerous times.  It's basically a test to see if they can make you go away.  I bet 50% of claimants give up in these scenarios so the insurance companies, like health insurance companies too, often deny the initial claim.  

After challenging their initial assessment they changed my claim to a "delay" and argued since I didn't fly to meet the ship at the first port of call it was denied.  I pointed out that Southwest doesn't fly to Cozumel (at the time they didn't).  There attempt to shift the claim in this direction backfired on them so they ended up paying.  

The point is... welcome to the American Insurance Industry.  About as corrupt as any industry can be.   

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

The point is... welcome to the American Insurance Industry.  About as corrupt as any industry can be.   

Sad, but true!  Caveat Emptor !!!

5 hours ago, Scott of the Seas said:

If anyone read the fine print on any travel insurance policy you wouldn’t waste your money

Point taken!  I think many of us just buy the "offered" insurance for peace of mind.  But I bet most of us buy it with a scenario in mind that is not actually covered...

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

Well if we can at least get an FCC, hubby & I have an October cruise booked on Explorer he can join.  Ok but maybe I don’t want to deal with the stress of that again!!😄😄

Also, if he gets FCC, you can have it transferred to you......if he doesn't want to sail again. 

Oh, that could work too.  I could just pay him & apply the FCC to our cruise.  That way he won’t feel pressured into planning something right away.  Thanks for the idea! Is transferring hard?

14 hours ago, Pooch said:

Oh, that could work too.  I could just pay him & apply the FCC to our cruise.  That way he won’t feel pressured into planning something right away.  Thanks for the idea! Is transferring hard?

If you have a TA, I would venture no. I read on FB that even with using a rep, the hard part is the wait times.