Shipboard Credit and Dining Credit?

I know about onboard credit and you can spend that in the cruise planner ahead of time, but I booked a cruise through Costco Travel and I have $50 worth of Shipboard credit and $50 worth of dining credit. Doesn’t look like I can use it ahead of time, which is a bummer because we want to do Wonderland and it looks like you get a discount from booking in the cruise planner ahead of time. Does anyone know if you can use the shipboard credit towards dining as well or if there is a way to get this added to your cruise planner?

12 hours ago, Livtocruise said:

I know about onboard credit and you can spend that in the cruise planner ahead of time, but I booked a cruise through Costco Travel and I have $50 worth of Shipboard credit and $50 worth of dining credit. Doesn’t look like I can use it ahead of time, which is a bummer because we want to do Wonderland and it looks like you get a discount from booking in the cruise planner ahead of time. Does anyone know if you can use the shipboard credit towards dining as well or if there is a way to get this added to your cruise planner?

I don't know how Costco works, but on the ship all charges to the room are, well, charges to the room.  So OBC is applied to those charges and you are billed for the balance at the end of the cruise.  Now we used to get a "dining certificate" from our TA -- not OBC -- and that could only be used per its instructions (like go on a port day, etc.)   Not sure whether you are going to get certificates with your cruise documents as we did or just OBC assigned to your stateroom.  Recommend you look for comments from other Costco customers.

Sounds like Costco is making things sound more complicated by not using Royal's terminology.  Shipboard credit is just going to be onboard credit.  The only difference is it won't be available until you are actually...on board...and then there are no rules on how it is spent.  Dining credit really should be no different than onboard credit but again won't be useable until on board.  You can only spend OBC before the cruise if it comes from Royal.

You might be able to play some games where you book and pay for a reservation in advance on the Cruise Planner.  Then, during the cruise you could try to cancel that reservation and rebook it using your OBC.  Not sure if they would let you keep the pre-cruise price with that option though.

13 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Sounds like Costco is making things sound more complicated by not using Royal's terminology.  Shipboard credit is just going to be onboard credit.  The only difference is it won't be available until you are actually...on board...and then there are no rules on how it is spent.  Dining credit really should be no different than onboard credit but again won't be useable until on board.  You can only spend OBC before the cruise if it comes from Royal.

You might be able to play some games where you book and pay for a reservation in advance on the Cruise Planner.  Then, during the cruise you could try to cancel that reservation and rebook it using your OBC.  Not sure if they would let you keep the pre-cruise price with that option though.

Thanks! Would we be able to apply that shipboard/onboard credit towards the gratuities if we don’t prepay? I think we’ll book Wonderland in advance and then use the dining credit at Sabor or Jamie’s!

I also booked through Costco and got a $50 onboard credit and a dining credit. In our case, they just said it says says "one specialty dining experience for two." The fine print says it needs to be booked onboard and excludes Izumi. We also plan to use it for Wonderland, so we're just going to make a beeline to the restaurant when we board and book it then. As for the credit, it actually popped up on my Royal Caribbean account a few weeks after booking and we were just able to use for an excursion. If I was you I would check your account and see if it also pops up, because you can probably use it to book one of those other restaurants you want to look. For me, the credit actually looked like an online/pre-board credit (I forgot how it was worded) but it did say that if you don't use it before the cruise then it would turn into onboard credit.  

14 hours ago, CookieChick said:

We just sailed on Anthem and also recieved $50 of credit per room from Costco.  It was just added to our room account as a credit and applied to reduce the overall daily gratuity charges.  Any extras we bought in advance in cruise planner at whatever discount was offered there.

Thanks! We’ll probably apply that to gratuities!

4 hours ago, ChanaC said:

I also booked through Costco and got a $50 onboard credit and a dining credit. In our case, they just said it says says "one specialty dining experience for two." The fine print says it needs to be booked onboard and excludes Izumi. We also plan to use it for Wonderland, so we're just going to make a beeline to the restaurant when we board and book it then. As for the credit, it actually popped up on my Royal Caribbean account a few weeks after booking and we were just able to use for an excursion. If I was you I would check your account and see if it also pops up, because you can probably use it to book one of those other restaurants you want to look. For me, the credit actually looked like an online/pre-board credit (I forgot how it was worded) but it did say that if you don't use it before the cruise then it would turn into onboard credit.  

Thanks! I’ll definitely be checking my account often! It’s just weird how for my booking, Costco called it “shipboard” and not onboard. Did they call it onboard for you? Either way, we don’t prepay gratuities so we 100% have something to apply it to!

22 hours ago, Livtocruise said:

Thanks! I’ll definitely be checking my account often! It’s just weird how for my booking, Costco called it “shipboard” and not onboard. Did they call it onboard for you? Either way, we don’t prepay gratuities so we 100% have something to apply it to!

Yes, looks like it's called shipboard credit in our fine print as well. I was surprised to see it show up ahead of time on the Royal Caribbean website.