Up close glacier tours

ChanaC

For previous Alaska cruisers, has anyone done an up close glacier boat tour on your glacier day? We're sailing on Quantum and going to the Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. I know you can just sit on the ship deck and observe, so is paying for the extra excursion worth it? We would love to see the glacier closer, and also spot any wildlife on the way that might be too hard to see from the ship. I also know that the Quantum is big so it might not get as close as other ships. I'm wavering between saving the money and having a nice relaxing morning sipping on tea/coffee/hot cocoa while observing the sights on the top deck or from our balcony, or being more adventurous and getting closer. As a note, we're going to the Endicott Arm in the morning and sailing into Juneau that afternoon, where we already have a whale watch and visit to the Mendenhall Glacier visitor center, where we are planning on walking to Nugget Falls, so we'll already be in a boat and viewing wildlife and a glacier that day.

Last August, we did a helicopter tour where you landed on one of the glaciers and you could walk around, fill your water bottle at one of the little rivers.. It was amazing.... I can find the name of the tour and post pics if you are interested.... There was also an airboat ride that took you close enough to touch them.... It was the most magical RC tour I have ever been on 🙂

Are these all things you do while visiting/floating by the glacier? Unless I'm wrong, on the one I booked you get on a smaller boat as you sail into the fjord and get closer to the glacier than you would on the ship.

Also.. I booked this yesterday and got 10% off. But when I checked back today, it was 20% off! I was able to call RC and rebook and saved myself $50!