Harmony of the Seas Stateroom Accessibility Question

RoseQuartz

We are planning a cruise on the Harmony of the Seas and deciding on whether to ask for an accessible stateroom or not. Before we decide, we are wondering whether anyone can tell us if the toilets in the regular staterooms are low or "comfort height". We don't need a wheelchair accessible room, just a higher toilet seat and grab bars in the restroom. Has anyone traveled on the Harmony yet that can tell me?  

I found this tour of a virtual balcony accessible room.  I hope it provides an answer for you:

Thanks for this. We are hoping to not have to use an accessible stateroom, because we only really need the elevated toilet or grab bars in a regular stateroom. Any ideas about the regular staterooms? 

Thanks for this. We are hoping to not have to use an accessible stateroom, because we only really need the elevated toilet or grab bars in a regular stateroom. Any ideas about the regular staterooms? 

There won't be grab bars in a regular stateroom, so my suggestion would be to book an accessible cabin given your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am editing this to add information for anyone else who may have this question. I was contacted by RCL after sending the same question to them.

The toilets in the non-accessible rooms are NOT "comfort height," they are standard height (very low) and there are no grab bars. There is, however, a sturdy shelf that will give my husband stability when he stands up, so it will be sufficient, I think.

Also, RCL will provide a lifted toilet seat in the non-accessible staterooms; you only need to request it when you book. 

We will take advantage of this, so we do not have to take up an accessible stateroom that someone else may really need.

If I can ask a related question on this -- for non-accessible rooms, what is the step-in height for the shower? From looking at photos others have taken, it seems that all staterooms have the shower floor pretty much level with the main bathroom floor, and a very short step over the shower's sliding door rail. Can anyone confirm that?

My right leg is nearly an inch shorter than my left, and the ankle in that leg is fused, so stepping in/out of tubs or showers is difficult / painful if there's more than a half-inch or so in floor heights.

- Joe -

- Sailing on Freedom of the Seas in April 2018 -

If I can ask a related question on this -- for non-accessible rooms, what is the step-in height for the shower? From looking at photos others have taken, it seems that all staterooms have the shower floor pretty much level with the main bathroom floor, and a very short step over the shower's sliding door rail. Can anyone confirm that?

My right leg is nearly an inch shorter than my left, and the ankle in that leg is fused, so stepping in/out of tubs or showers is difficult / painful if there's more than a half-inch or so in floor heights.

- Joe -

- Sailing on Freedom of the Seas in April 2018 -

For the shower, the step is negligible, maybe an inch or two. However, there is a step up into the bathroom of a few inches.

For the shower, the step is negligible, maybe an inch or two. However, there is a step up into the bathroom of a few inches.

Thanks, DocLC! The step in/out of the bathroom won't be an issue since I can wear my shoes for that, then take them off to get into the shower. My right shoe has a custom lift and rocker sole to level out my legs and make walking a lot more bearable, so I just wear my shoes all the time until I absolutely have to take them off. :)

stepping in/out of tubs or showers is difficult / painful if there's more than a half-inch or so in floor

Allow me to recommend that you NEVER book a Grand Suite !  The step up and out of the bathtub/shower is treacherous !  Getting in was bad but getting out was taking your life in your hands every time !

I think that, for maintainability reasons, the plumbing for these tub/showers is below the tub enclosure (this is just a guess but it seems like this must be the case) so the sides of the tub are VERY high off the ground.  I can barely make it and I am NOT short.  Stepping down, out of the tub is even worse.  I am always afraid that I will lose my balance and slip until I can get my foot firmly on the floor below.  Thank GOD for the grab bars or I would have never been able to get in and out of the bathtub.

I LOVE the Grand Suite but the height of the sides of the tub are really a problem.  I don't know how elderly or mobility challenged people could use it at all.