Traveling with children - door locks?

My fiance & I are discussing a cruise with the 2 of us, and her 2 children (13 and 5). Connecting staterooms is the most practical, but the question we have is: do the doors have a child lock (not unlike the backseat of cars) so we wouldn't have to worry about the youngest deciding to go solo exploring in the middle of the night?

24 minutes ago, pheenix99 said:

My fiance & I are discussing a cruise with the 2 of us, and her 2 children (13 and 5). Connecting staterooms is the most practical, but the question we have is: do the doors have a child lock (not unlike the backseat of cars) so we wouldn't have to worry about the youngest deciding to go solo exploring in the middle of the night?

The doors do not have a "child lock" per se, but the do have deadbolts, and the doors are quite heavy, i can't imagine a 5 year old would be able to easily open them.

I don't remember there being a child lock per say, but from what I remember, there is the typical deadbolt or chain system on the inside of the door like a hotel room. Someone who has cruised more recently will be able to tell you better than I can. What class ship are you on? Also, will you have the connecting door open at night? If the lock doesn't seem adequate, you could hang some bells on the door or get one of those inexpensive little motion sensor alarms (my son has one from a spy kit) to put near the door to warn you. Just make sure the 13 year old knows to turn it on/off before using the door!

18 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I don't remember there being a child lock per say, but from what I remember, there is the typical deadbolt or chain system on the inside of the door like a hotel room. Someone who has cruised more recently will be able to tell you better than I can. What class ship are you on? Also, will you have the connecting door open at night? If the lock doesn't seem adequate, you could hang some bells on the door or get one of those inexpensive little motion sensor alarms (my son has one from a spy kit) to put near the door to warn you. Just make sure the 13 year old knows to turn it on/off before using the door!

We haven't settled on a particular ship/itinerary yet. As far as the connecting door, that can either be closed/unsecured or left open (unless we wanted some adult time). 

• 6 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 1:33 PM, pheenix99 said:

Is this something the 5 year old is in the habit of doing???

As an extra measure, you could move the desk chair in front of the door each night.  While the 5 yo could perhaps move the chair, there might be enough noise generated doing that that the 13 yo would wake up.  Unless there is a history of sleep walking or "escaping", I really don't see the 5yo wanting to leave the room at night.  To me, it would be pretty scary as it's just a long hallway.  Discussing the importance of staying together and never leaving the room alone is also something you'd do well in advance and on repeat.  As you mention, you can leave the door open so you can hear what's going on--if the sacrifice is alone time, well, that's just what parents endure on occasion (you can send them to Adventure Ocean during the day for that!)  I don't think this concern is enough to not book a cruise and keep your family from a wildly fun time!