Home recipes to share.

MuttMutt

Have a favorite recipe you REALLY want to share?  Well I know I do so why not right?

I am very fluid in how I cook so please feel free to adjust for your tastes.  If you have a favorite sauce or are like me and jazz up a store bought sauce go for it.  Anyway here goes:

An Italian twist on Chicken Cordon Bleu

Ingredients:

• Chicken breasts or thighs
  • Spaghetti sauce
  • Olive oil (or some other cooking oil)
  • Italian seasoning mix
  • Garlic
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Chicken Bullion powder
  • Block of mozzarella cheese or string cheese sticks (1 piece per breast)
  • Pepperoni slices (I use 10 to 12 per breast)
  • Some sort of pasta (I use spaghetti but anything will work)

Mix some oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, about a tablespoon of chicken bullion, and Italian seasoning till it is pretty well just a thick mush.  I end up with about 8 tablespoons when cooking 6 chicken breasts.  Think of something like a pesto or humus for consistency. 

Butterfly the breasts and add about a tablespoon of the mix and spread it around the inside.  Place pepperoni slices into the breast then place a piece of mozzarella cheese on top folding the breast closed when done.  When all breasts are done use the rest of the pesto like mix on top in a thin coat.  

Bake the breast for 40 minutes in a oven heated to 350 degrees on a cookie sheet.  

At about 20 minutes left warm your sauce and doctor it to taste.  I add Italian seasoning, garlic, beef bullion powder, a touch of red pepper flakes and a couple packets of artificial sweetener to take just a touch of the sour taste out if it has it.  Move to the back burner and allow to slightly simmer or just keep warm.

Start your water for the pasta boiling and at about 10 minutes till the chicken is done add the pasta to the boiling water.

Everything should be ready to go at the same time.  I like to place the pasta on the plate, add the sauce as I see fit and then top with one of the chicken breasts.

I made this tonight and my girlfriend and her son both loved it.  Hopefully you will as well.  Just remember to do things to your taste.  If you don't have the chicken bullion (I highly recommend using it in place of salt, beef is used for things that need a beefy flavor and chicken for most anything else) then use regular salt though you may not need very much so consider just sprinkling a little on.